Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Any tips on adjusting 5100 height setting without removing struts from truck??

Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Any tips on adjusting 5100 height setting without removing struts from truck??

I want to move from the 0" setting to the .85" setting, so it's not like the coils have to be compressed a huge amount. Is this a relatively straightforward task? Just by looking, seems like it would be a challenge to get two threaded rod style coil compressors on opposite sides of the coil, with the flanges of the shock tower in the way. Any tips??

p.s., I'm sure there are a million threads about this but nothing relevant turned up in my search.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
not possible... safely
Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
i tried. i failed. its not worth the hassel, its only an extra 15 min per side to take the coils right out. you waste that dinkin around with the coil compressor easily.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, well...off they come AGAIN.

I bet I could do it blindfolded this time. Gonna be like the 3rd time in a month.

Thanx for the replies.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Okay, well...off they come AGAIN.

I bet I could do it blindfolded this time. Gonna be like the 3rd time in a month.

Thanx for the replies.
sucks.. hope you have lifetime alignment
Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #6

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
sucks.. hope you have lifetime alignment
Nope, unfortunately. Another $60 down the turlit.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bummer dude. make sure you dont have the taco lean before you get it aligned. you might wanna get the spacer in first so you dont waste money getting another alignment again
Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Name: John
Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
bummer dude. make sure you dont have the taco lean before you get it aligned. you might wanna get the spacer in first so you dont waste money getting another alignment again

so my taco has the lean, since its a 1/4 inch it actually lifts it a 1/2 inch, is this true.

if anyone can answer it would be much appericated.

since its a spacer, i read its bad to stacks lifts, but does this one not count since its such a small lift?

thanks, anyone, did want to start a new tread so i added to this one.

might be the wrong thread since its about the 5100's but worth a try,
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Name: John
Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRANDA View Post
so my taco has the lean, since its a 1/4 inch it actually lifts it a 1/2 inch, is this true.

if anyone can answer it would be much appericated.

since its a spacer, i read its bad to stacks lifts, but does this one not count since its such a small lift?

thanks, anyone, did want to start a new tread so i added to this one.

might be the wrong thread since its about the 5100's but worth a try,

bump for an answer
Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Why have you done this 3 times this month?

I realize you are doing it a 2nd time to raise it but why did you do it the 3rd time?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
do w3rk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRANDA View Post
bump for an answer
many people use this small spacer to correct the lean. i doubt it would affect anything.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen this done on a Scion, can't vouch for its effectiveness on the Taco.
Source: http://dpcars.net/scion/sc2.htm

1. While the truck is on the ground (springs compressed by truck's own weight), wrap a tow strap several times up and down the coils to hold its length.

2. Jack up the truck. The spring is still in its compressed length, but the shock is extended, giving you [hopefully] enough room to move the spring perch.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I've seen this done on a Scion, can't vouch for its effectiveness on the Taco.
Source: http://dpcars.net/scion/sc2.htm

1. While the truck is on the ground (springs compressed by truck's own weight), wrap a tow strap several times up and down the coils to hold its length.

2. Jack up the truck. The spring is still in its compressed length, but the shock is extended, giving you [hopefully] enough room to move the spring perch.
That sounds logical but VERY dangerous! If your strap breaks or loosens, you could cause damage or loose a finger.

It's really not too difficult to remove. I agree it's a pain but it's safer.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Banned
merrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to behold
merrit's Tacoma Gallery
buy another set then adjust them ?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Could someone explain to me why you need an alignment after pulling a coilover out.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
Could someone explain to me why you need an alignment after pulling a coilover out.
You don't necessarily need an alignment after pulling a coilover out. You DO need an alignment after pulling a coilover out and adjusting the height of it.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The OP will be adjusting the height of the vehicle which will change the geometry hence the need for an alignment.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Ok well that was not stated. Adjusting the height i can see why...although i have gone up and down with mine and just not bothered with it...but i have had mine out like 10 times in the last couple months with no alignment.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Nope, unfortunately. Another $60 down the turlit.
Firestone lifetime alignment is only $140, and they always have coupons on their site for it. I bought it knowing I would be trying different settings on my 5100's and have used it a few times, and they have been able to align mine fine every time.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
Wild Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
Ok well that was not stated. Adjusting the height i can see why...although i have gone up and down with mine and just not bothered with it...but i have had mine out like 10 times in the last couple months with no alignment.
In the OP: "I want to move from the 0" setting to the .85" setting"