1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flat springs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Voodoo Rufus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dec 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    When my pickup is unladen in the bed, the leaf springs look flat to slightly negatively arched.

I just bought 240 pounds of tube sand to aid in winter traction, and now the springs are very noticeably arched. What causes a truck with 37k miles to have springs that are completely shot?

I've seen the other threads that show that the only two things that can be done are re-arching or a new spring pack.

This is about as heavy a load as I ever plan to run the truck with on a regular basis, and was thinking of the Wheeler's Alcan pack as a potential replacement since used TSB leaf springs seem difficult to come by. Not too fond of the $600 price, and I also wonder if the 2" of lift given is too much.

What are other options? Not interested in Dakars or the 3" All Pro pack, either.

2. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Just install an AAL. That should take care of your problem for the most part. But you may need to lift the front a bit too afterwards.

3. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    buy new leafs. if they suck you might as well get all new leafs then having 1 leaf holding up the bad ones

4. Dec 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    For now I've decided to do nothing. The load is not causing the springs to touch the overload leaves.

5. Dec 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    thebaugh23

thebaugh23 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eston
    blueridge mountains
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD 4cyl ex-cab
    3" ToyTec lift. keyless entry/ alarm. XM radio. westing burshguard, super 44 flowmaster, tinted windows, A/T tires, New Bilstein HD shocks
    im thinking about putting new leaf springs and shocks. im going with the orginal bilstein shokcs. does anyone know of any good leafs?

6. Dec 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Just last night I replaced my leafs with Dakars and I feel like I have a new truck!!! I also found a blown shock so I went to Kartek this morning to get some rebuild kits! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top