Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Anyone Running Air bags with their leaf springs?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Tacomamoose is on a distinguished road
Name: Austin
Tacomamoose's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone Running Air bags with their leaf springs?

Hey I have been towing a lot lately and someone told me that I should look at getting air bags and an onboard air compressor for my truck what do you think??? Please give me some thoughts
Old 01-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
mustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of light
mustangwilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomamoose View Post
Hey I have been towing a lot lately and someone told me that I should look at getting air bags and an onboard air compressor for my truck what do you think??? Please give me some thoughts
I have the firestone ride right system and it works great. I installed it because I wasn't happy with the back end squatting when pulling my boat, hauling stuff, etc. The tsb just wasn't enough for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
They work well for hauling/towing but they slightly limit you of you off road. You don't necessarily need a dedicated on-board air set-up. They can get expensive and an aftermarket 12v air compressor that you plug into your cigarette lighter would do the trick. If I recall correctly they carry about 5-8 psi unloaded and up to 20-25 psi loaded so it doesn't take an overly powerful compressor to load the air bags.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
mustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
They work well for hauling/towing but they slightly limit you of you off road. You don't necessarily need a dedicated on-board air set-up. They can get expensive and an aftermarket 12v air compressor that you plug into your cigarette lighter would do the trick. If I recall correctly they carry about 5-8 psi unloaded and up to 20-25 psi loaded so it doesn't take an overly powerful compressor to load the air bags.
I keep mine at 5 psi all the time I have never needed to go over 20psi so you're right on. As far as the compressor goes, you can actually just use a bicycle tire hand pump. I went with the onboard compressor though
Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
I would imagine that everyone running air bags also has leaf springs. If your rig is nose high after hooking up the trailer then you might get Firestone airbags to level it out.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A View Post
I would imagine that everyone running air bags also has leaf springs. If your rig is nose high after hooking up the trailer then you might get Firestone airbags to level it out.
Yes to the leaf springs. The air bags basically replace the bumpstops, but are attached to the axle and frame. You can acheive quite a bit of lift to level the truck out when hauling something heavy, and you never have to worry about bouncing your truck off the bump stops again.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Firestone Ride-Rite system as well.. Absolutely love it.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwilly View Post
Yes to the leaf springs. The air bags basically replace the bumpstops, but are attached to the axle and frame. You can acheive quite a bit of lift to level the truck out when hauling something heavy, and you never have to worry about bouncing your truck off the bump stops again.
The sarcasm must have been too subtle, my bad.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A View Post
The sarcasm must have been too subtle, my bad.
Is this sarcasm as well? LOL
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #10

Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwilly View Post
Is this sarcasm as well? LOL
No it's me being apologetic for being sarcastic