Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New shocks not extending

Old 12-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
New shocks not extending

Well I bought some Roungh Country 8000 series hydraulic rear shocks for now (money is tight) and I took them out to look at them and they were compressed with nothing holding the ends together. And they wont extend unless I manually pull em. I havent seen anything like this and dont want this to be a dumb question, but is this normal for these shocks? And being that its already friday Im sure I cant call untill monday and ask, so I figured I just ask here.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If they are not nitrogen charged shocks they will not extend on their own.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If they are not nitrogen charged shocks they will not extend on their own.
But I bought the hydraulic shocks WITHOUT the nitrogen upgrade, does it matter? And I read on a Tundra forum that this guys Rancho shocks didnt extend on there own either, and that was suppose to be (normal) for those shocks. Dont know if thats true, Im just confused as hell..
Heres the link.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Rea...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nitrogen in shocks keeps the shock fluid from foaming by putting pressure on it. The pressure will cause the shock to extend on it's own. Since you bought non nitrogen charged shocks there is no pressure inside so they will not extend. It is normal.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
White Tank

Quote:
Nitrogen in shocks keeps the shock fluid from foaming by putting pressure on it. The pressure will cause the shock to extend on it's own. Since you bought non nitrogen charged shocks there is no pressure inside so they will not extend. It is normal.
Ohh okay I see now. So its safe to go ahead and put these shocks on along with my lift? Sorry for the dumb questions, But I gotta learn some how.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighTacoma View Post
Ohh okay I see now. So its safe to go ahead and put these shocks on along with my lift? Sorry for the dumb questions, But I gotta learn some how.
Yes as long as they are made to work with a lift.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
White Tank

Quote:
Yes as long as they are made to work with a lift.
Yes they are. At least thats what I have read and gathered from research. Thanks for the help! I felt stupid for alil bit haha. But I googled the difference and got a better understand between the two different type of shocks. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Banned
Good luck man.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
White Tank

Quote:
Good luck man.
Thanks man! I should have my lift on by next week sometime and will have pics up in my build!