Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Wondering if my rear leaf springs look right...

Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
blahablaha is on a distinguished road
Name: Father
blahablaha's Tacoma Gallery
Wondering if my rear leaf springs look right...

My 2006 Access cab is a recent acquisition, and I love it, love it, love it! However, I got a little enthusiastic about loading firewood into it--most likely overloaded by several hundred pounds (towing a large single axle trailer as well). Afterwards, it was bottoming out with just a few guys in the bed, and I started wondering if I hadn't done something to compromise my rear leaf springs. I do little to no off-roading, mostly hauling firewood and highway miles, with the occasional hunting or fishing trip in the mountains.

I've been reading up on rear leaf pack replacement (I am out of warranty so the TSB is not an option... Dakars sound pretty nice, but I don't want to have to buy new shocks as well) and AAL, but thought the Timbrens might be the ticket based on some recent threads here. However, I don't want to put Timbrens on to compensate for bad springs, so any diagnosis you all could offer would help me to get a better idea of what I need to do. Photos are attached.

This is my first truck, so I'm still learning..... I wish I would've done my research and known about that TSB stuff before I decided! Ah well.

The clearance between the top of the bump stop and the frame is right at 3". Would that leave me enough room to put on a set of timbrens and leave 1" clearance?
Attached Thumbnails
Wondering if my rear leaf springs look right...-twa.jpg   Wondering if my rear leaf springs look right...-p1110510.jpg   Wondering if my rear leaf springs look right...-twc.jpg   Wondering if my rear leaf springs look right...-twd.jpg   Wondering if my rear leaf springs look right...-twb.jpg  

Old 12-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
those look like they've lost alot of their arch causing it to bottom out. may be time for new ones.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Hrm. Is this something I should look into at the dealership? Or is it worthwhile to look for more suitable springs? I'm no expert mechanic, but I'm intrigued by the thought of giving this a try (especially with all the handy how-to's on TW).
Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Looks pretty normal to me. Mine were basically flat before I installed my aal. I still had a decent amount of rake.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
There has be a lot of weight in that bed for sure!
Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
TacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat with my '09. Just gonna replace the pack and shocks. Good excuse for a small lift!
Old 12-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Looks pretty normal to me. Mine were basically flat before I installed my aal. I still had a decent amount of rake.
fair enough- my truck doesn't look tilted or anything. What did you install, and how did it affect your springs? Did the AAL put some arch back into them?