Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

6" Lift Question

Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Rbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the rough

Name: Richard
Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
6" Lift Question

Why does some of the 6" lifts I have looked at say must use 17" or larger rims with 4.5" of backspacing or less. I get the backspacing requirement, I just bought new 16" x 8" rims with -0- offset which equates to 4" of backspacing so I got that part covered but whats the deal with the diameter of 17" or greater requirement.

What does the diameter of the rims have to do with the size of the tires you can install?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
i think its because the kit moves the steering knukle up or it moves something up that requirs a larger rim
Old 12-21-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbohno View Post
Why does some of the 6" lifts I have looked at say must use 17" or larger rims with 4.5" of backspacing or less. I get the backspacing requirement, I just bought new 16" x 8" rims with -0- offset which equates to 4" of backspacing so I got that part covered but whats the deal with the diameter of 17" or greater requirement.

What does the diameter of the rims have to do with the size of the tires you can install?
An 8" rim with zero offset has 4.5" backspacing, not 4".
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Rbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the rough

Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
An 8" rim with zero offset has 4.5" backspacing, not 4".
I bought the rims from Discount Tire and they list their rims by offset and when you ask them about backspacing they give you the "deer-in-the-headlights" look.

So I got the manager involved and he told me that a -0- offset equated to the mounting surface of the wheel being exactly in the center/middile of the wheel so the following wheels with a -0- offset would be :
  • 8" wide wheel - 4" backspace
  • 9" wide wheel - 4.5" backspace - So what would the back space be for this wheel *
And so on.................So I am not surpised if I was misinformed, I just took his word for the backspace amount of my new wheels and didn't measure while they were sitting there in the box.

* This is the wheel they test fitted the 285/75/16 Nitto terra grappler on my truck with and it hit pretty bad in the front.

Will the 8" wheel be better or worse with regards to fitment of a 285/75/16 on my truck?

Thanks for your input/info
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbohno View Post
I bought the rims from Discount Tire and they list their rims by offset and when you ask them about backspacing they give you the "deer-in-the-headlights" look.

So I got the manager involved and he told me that a -0- offset equated to the mounting surface of the wheel being exactly in the center/middile of the wheel so the following wheels with a -0- offset would be :
  • 8" wide wheel - 4" backspace
  • 9" wide wheel - 4.5" backspace - So what would the back space be for this wheel *
And so on.................So I am not surpised if I was misinformed, I just took his word for the backspace amount of my new wheels and didn't measure while they were sitting there in the box.

* This is the wheel they test fitted the 285/75/16 Nitto terra grappler on my truck with and it hit pretty bad in the front.

Will the 8" wheel be better or worse with regards to fitment of a 285/75/16 on my truck?

Thanks for your input/info
The centerline of the rim is based on the outside width, not the "rim width". Rim width is the inside bead. The center of the rim width and the centerline will not lie in the same place.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Here this page has lots of good info, including a chart that will help you convert width and offset to backspacing

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Damnit Ben that's the second time you've beaten me today!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
The reason they say a certain rim size is because of the larger spindle.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Here this page has lots of good info, including a chart that will help you convert width and offset to backspacing

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Damnit Ben that's the second time you've beaten me today!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
The reason they say a certain rim size is because of the larger spindle.

and the fact that the tie rod is flipped to the top of the knuckle and not from the bottom like the factory setup.

Justin
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
But I think you can run spacers in the front to fit a 16" rim
Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #11

Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
Yeah, you can. If you have spidertrax stacked with a wheel that has ~4.5" backspacing you can fit a 16" wheel.
Damn, never cease to amaze me with all the knowledge thats out there!!!!!

The term "stacked" when mentioning spidertrax scares me, define the amount of stacked.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Im guessing here but i think he means stacked as in combined with. ....although you could run a ton of stacked spacers and be like 10ft wide in the front!!!!! hahahahahaha