Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

6" lift problems

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
arrowthrower is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
arrowthrower's Tacoma Gallery
6" lift problems

I have a 2011 DC TRD and love the look of the 3" lift. But seems like too many problems with them. I don't see any problems with the 6" lift. Anyone have the vibration problems or anything negative to say about 6". I would rather pay the extra money for something that will be as realible as the truck.

And why is so many people down on the spacer? I had one in my 2004 f-150 and couldn't tell any difference in the ride.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
~THE LIGHT GUY~
TBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 6" Pro Comp lift. I would recommend new UCAs though to correct your alignment after you lift it. Worth the money if you do a lot of off roading and need the bigger tires and extra ground clearance.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
there shouldnt be any probs with a 3" lift if you do it right. 6" on a small truck like a tacoma is overkill IMO
Old 12-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
yes i have the vibration problem with the 6 inch lift. I where you i would go with the All pro Long travel kit that is the best bang for your buck. Check out Mxpatriot he got the setup. That is more usefull than the 6 inch lift.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Do you have a 3" lift? I would rather do one, but I just shelled out $30000 for a new truck. Not excited about messing it up. How much are cv joints? Not much of an offroader either. Just camp, hunt, and mainly street drive. All for looks. Just want a bad ass truck that is also great shape.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately, vibrations are something to be expected when lifting your truck. By lifting the front end of the truck you are thereby lifting the engine, the transmission, and changing the angle of the driveline. Changing this angle is what causes many people's vibrations. However there are different ways, for both 3" and 6" lifts, to help remedy the vibrations. Such as shims, carrier bearing drops and new driveshafts at the proper length. Just more for you to think about. IMO go with what ever lift your going to like and be happy with. So do research, ask questions, pm guys and get responses to determine what route you would like to go. Do it right the first time. It costs too much money to be impatient.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
4X4. What about just leveling the front with a spacer. does that mess anything up?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 ..no spacers
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowthrower View Post
4X4. What about just leveling the front with a spacer. does that mess anything up?
This sums it up best, from Camburg's website:

We get asked this question all the time. “Why are most spacer lifts be bad”? Well spacer lifts can cause a few problems and cost you big dollars to fix. First there are a few different kinds of spacer lifts, there is the kind that just bolts on the top of the existing shock that spaces it down to give lift. The problem that can come from running this kind of spacer is the shock will now be allowed to droop to far downward causing binding and damage to ball joints, 4×4 axle cv’s, and steering joints. The other issue you might have is since the shock is now just pushed down when you bottom out the suspension on or off-road instead of hitting the bumpstops you will just bottom out the shock. This can lead to some hefty damage. The next kind of spacer lift available are the preload spacers. These will usually cause the coil springs to be preloaded to give lift. The side effect to this type of lift is the shock valving is not designed for the extra preload of the spring giving the ride a bad bouncy feel that sometimes feels uncontrolled. And in some cases we have seen the spring coilbind causing damage to the shock and the frame. This is because the spring is designed to move about 1/2 its total length so when you pre-load them they are now compressed to much so near bottom out they will bind before you hit the bumpstops.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
X2 KPT. Camburg also has a few pics of damage that results from hard off roading with a spacer lift

Edit: here is the link to that with pictures

http://www.camburg.com/toyota/07-09-...a-spacer-lift/
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
I sure wish I did 6" I can't tell my truck is even lifted..
Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
A 6" drop bracket lift will essential lift your truck 6" while keeping all your geometry the same (cvs, etc). I have a 07 with the 6" Fabtech lift and my 05 with the 6" Pro Comp lift and have zero problems since they were installed. My pro comp has 80K miles and is still in perfect shape, have not fixed or needed anything. It rides great, have really no vibration problems, and looks killer. They are both excellent kits and sounds like its just what you need. A lot of people that DONT have the 6" kits talk a lot of crap about them until they get one. Same goes with the "need to regear" with 35's...but I digress

OP, I hope to see that new truck with a sweet 6" lift on it soon. Like you said, why would you spend $30000 on a new truck then lift the front with $40 worth of plastic? Just something to think about...
Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
That's all true, but the OP doesn't seem interested in hard off roading. Just hunting and street driving.
I just disagree with the lifts that are for "looking" cool. If your not doing any major off roading or rock crawling your stock suspension does fine. I just dont see the use of an off road kit that is meant for street driving. Unless your a mud bogger there is no benifit to "lift" your truck. Look at real trophy trucks. They are not "lifted". They may sit a little higher due to 37" tires but overall they are not lifted. Even for a rock crawler the key to suspension is articulation. How much travel do you gain with a 6" Fabtech lift? None. What happens if you were to slide sideways on the road in your 6" lift? Roll over special. People "lift" their trucks so they can be higher than everyone and try and catch attention. So if your goal is to "look" cool then I guess Fabtech does its job. Seems like a waste of money to me to buy a lift kit that is good for "Just hunting and street driving"
Old 12-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
Thanks for all the post. I believe i will do a 6". Does anyone know any good places in the Western KY area to install? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
I just disagree with the lifts that are for "looking" cool. If your not doing any major off roading or rock crawling your stock suspension does fine. I just dont see the use of an off road kit that is meant for street driving. Unless your a mud bogger there is no benifit to "lift" your truck. Look at real trophy trucks. They are not "lifted". They may sit a little higher due to 37" tires but overall they are not lifted. Even for a rock crawler the key to suspension is articulation. How much travel do you gain with a 6" Fabtech lift? None. What happens if you were to slide sideways on the road in your 6" lift? Roll over special. People "lift" their trucks so they can be higher than everyone and try and catch attention. So if your goal is to "look" cool then I guess Fabtech does its job. Seems like a waste of money to me to buy a lift kit that is good for "Just hunting and street driving"
Who cares if a lift is "just for looking cool"? Lifted truck DO look cool.

OP- I think you are on the right track if you are looking to get a 6" lift. I lifted mine 2.5" and I wouldn't consider it a "lifted" truck. It more or less looks the way that it should look from the factory. Nice and level and slightly more room in the wheel wells. Anyone that doesn't know I lifted it wouldn't think that it is. If you want your truck to look cool and lifted, definitely go for something more than 3".
Just my opinion.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Or you could split the difference and go with the 4.5" drop bracket RCD lift.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Who cares if a lift is "just for looking cool"? Lifted truck DO look cool.

Well I guess if you care that much about what other people think of you then go for it. Maybe im just a desert rat but I could care less what others think my truck "looks" like. Im all about the "actual" performance
Old 12-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
Look at real trophy trucks. They are not "lifted". They may sit a little higher due to 37" tires but overall they are not lifted.
This is the fastest truck on earth, and on 39's it's lower than my taco in the background on 33's.
There is nothing wrong with a 3" lift done right with coilovers and deavers, and any 6" will be fine for most street/show guys just keep in mind it will be more expensive in the long run for maintenance and you won't get as much resale out of a 6" lifted truck.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
This is the fastest truck on earth, and on 39's it's lower than my taco in the background on 33's.
There is nothing wrong with a 3" lift done right with coilovers and deavers, and any 6" will be fine for most street/show guys just keep in mind it will be more expensive in the long run for maintenance and you won't get as much resale out of a 6" lifted truck.
SICK! Ft. Irwin?