Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Safest way to lift a 4x4 Taco

Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Safest way to lift a 4x4 Taco

What is the safest way to lift a 4x4 without screwing up the CV and UCA angles? I'm loving my Kings but can't help to wonder what exists out there if I want to go higher than 2" (which is the highest I'd go due to angle issues any higher)
Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
If all you want is a lift, I believe drop-brackets have nearly straight cv angles. There not the best kind of lifts, but they do have that going for them.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion I wouldnt lift any higher. Your Kings are not really made to go into a drop lift kit and you will end up sacrificing ride quality just to go higher in the air and create a top heavy vehicle. I always vote for wheel travel over lift height. It really depends on what you do with it though. Do you like higher speed desert stuff or slow rock crawling?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Sb_Bob_E10 is a glorious beacon of lightSb_Bob_E10 is a glorious beacon of lightSb_Bob_E10 is a glorious beacon of lightSb_Bob_E10 is a glorious beacon of lightSb_Bob_E10 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bobby
Sb_Bob_E10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
What is the safest way to lift a 4x4 without screwing up the CV and UCA angles? I'm loving my Kings but can't help to wonder what exists out there if I want to go higher than 2" (which is the highest I'd go due to angle issues any higher)

x2

I'm on the other end, currently running Icon's Extended at what I think is 3" (2" of exposed threads) with front diff. drop and camburg UCA's which looks AMAZING but believe I might be pushing it since my truck is 4x4.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
So much so that some lose ground clearance. Pretty funny to have a 6" lift and less ground clearance then a factory height ride.

YES! I call that the "Roll over Special" lol. Those lifts are for people that want to look cool but really have no idea what they are doing
Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
So much so that some lose ground clearance. Pretty funny to have a 6" lift and less ground clearance then a factory height ride.
Hahaha I know seriously. I'm not saying he should buy a DB, but It's definitely an option to consider for what he wants.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
"Safest" way is to essentially replace the suspension except for the LCAs.

Extended travel coilovers adjusted to 3" or less of lift, aftermarket uniball UCAs, and rear shocks/leaf packs to match is your best bet.

Pros:

- More travel than stock.
- Spring rates capable of supporting armor and Other Heavy Shit.
- More comfortable ride offroad.
- More durable than stock suspension.

Cons:

- Driveline vibes fully possible.
- VSC issues fully possible.
- Expensive.

That's about as safe as it gets. If you want fully safe, stay stock. There's NO lift that's fully safe.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Señor member

You have your Kings for sale as of 12/7. You say you have a baby on the way and you need the money so you are unwilling to give a "deal" on your shocks. And then you go and open this thread 12/21 about lifting your truck? Sorry but now your sale thread is looking super shady