Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

bilstein and top plate spacer?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no Einstein , but isn't 2 1/2 " + 3/4" = 3 1/4" ?

I might be wrong but I think the top plate spacers for the bilsteins are 10 mm , which is just under 1/2" .
Old 12-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
plus the spacers give about double the lift in the size, so it would be like 4 inches instead. I would go with a 1/4 inch spacer
Old 12-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
i realize that now.
Sorry about the math class , no offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
plus the spacers give about double the lift in the size, so it would be like 4 inches instead. I would go with a 1/4 inch spacer
This ^^^
Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I might be wrong but I think the top plate spacers for the bilsteins are 10 mm , which is just under 1/2" .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
well the ones i am looking at on toytec are these: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

they are listed at 3/4''. is there a specific top plate spacer for at bilstein 5100 shock? the 1/4'' ones are sold individually; i thought they were for the driver's side lean correction. i just wanted to get the full 3'' and also wanted to know if these are bad for my suspension like the larger (3'') spacers.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Sorry about the math class , no offence
sorry, i'm not exactly on my toes with the math skills at 2:22 in the morning. lol, and sorry about the grammar class
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well the ones i am looking at on toytec are these: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

they are listed at 3/4''. is there a specific top plate spacer for at bilstein 5100 shock? the 1/4'' ones are sold individually; i thought they were for the driver's side lean correction. i just wanted to get the full 3'' and also wanted to know if these are bad for my suspension like the larger (3'') spacers.
I was just looking those up on the toytec site as well , and they do state that they give 3/4" of lift , but I think that they physically are 10mm thick .
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sorry, i'm not exactly on my toes with the math skills at 2:22 in the morning. lol, and sorry about the grammar class
Old 12-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #10

Quote:
I was just looking those up on the toytec site as well , and they do state that they give 3/4" of lift , but I think that they physically are 10mm thick .
yeah, i'm a little confused. i'm not sure which one i would need to go with because i don't want 3/4'' ones to give me 2 1/2'' more.

Quote:
it was just a little jab at you because of the differences in american and canadian spelling. your "offence" is our "offense." our "theater" is "theatre." "cream" vs. "creme." etc. etc..
Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it was just a little jab at you because of the differences in american and canadian spelling. your "offence" is our "offense." our "theater" is "theatre." "cream" vs. "creme." etc. etc..

I get it , Canadian speak
Old 12-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
How come your sig says you are selling your toytec lift ?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it's the tonneau cover that's for sale, i guess i could re-word it.
Gotcha .
Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Read this. Spacer lifts and coil lifts are bad. Camburg knows their sh!t

http://www.camburg.com/toyota/07-09-...a-spacer-lift/
Old 12-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
danstacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
danstacoma's Tacoma Gallery
yea but most of those pics have like 3 to 4 inch spacers he is only talkin about 3/4" i know im gettin my kit from wheelers offroad and the offer a spacer kit for the adjustable 5100s.... the kit allows you to adjust the 5100s to 2.5" and the spacer is .5" so it will give you a full 3 inch lift check it out :http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacomasuspmisc.htm it states that it can be stackable
Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
danstacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
danstacoma's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ im not the dan from wheelers lol but i did talk to him and he said that i could run this no problems
Old 12-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
As long as the spacer lift takes that stuff into consideration they aren't a problem. The issue is the people who don't research and stack shit on top of shit. I spoke to DSMS about what I wanted to do and they backed it up. DSMS also spoke to King about my set up regarding spring load.

I am running a 3/8" spacer on top of my shocks for 3/4" lift. Sounds goofy, but here is the theory: Set adjustable coil overs to 2" of lift so they aren't maxed out add 3/8" spacer for 3/4" lift and then get an additional 1" of down travel and a better ride VS maxing the CO's out. So now I have a better ride and less maintenance issues with the shocks + more down travel. Win Win Win.

CV's cost less then $50 so I do plan on buying a spare or two if I really get crazy into 4x4ing.

You can't even see my 3/8" spacer and as you can see my CO's aren't even close to cranked down

The only problem is you lost up-travel. When your suspension goes up the first thing to bottom out is now your shock. The shock is not supposed to be the "stop" in the suspension. As long as you have something to bump stop before you bottom out the shock you will be ok. But if you bottom hard enough on your shock you are going to destroy the internals of your Kings or any other shock.

Edit: From looking at your pics you dont even have the factory bumps anymore. That is exactly what the camburg article talks about. However you dont have a huge spacer so it might not matter. Its not like you have a 3'' spacer lift
Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #20
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Just make sure the length of exposed shock shaft showing is greater then the distance from bump stop to LCA and the shock shouldn't ever bottom out.

Edit: The Kings compress to 16-3/4" and max out at 21-11/16". I was unable to find any info regarding the TRD Bilstein lengths.

It will be greater because its farther out on the arm. The bumps are right up next to the pivot and the shocks are about halfay out. Plus the bump stop will compress (or it should). There are lots of bump stop options with different heights and sizes from i think polyformance (and im sure from others too)