Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME Help

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Future55 is on a distinguished road
Future55's Tacoma Gallery
OME Help

Whats up guys, ive done a lot of research and from what ive gathered a lot of people recommend the OME lift. For those who say the ride is awesome, and all that good stuff..is that with the dakar leaf spings set? I dont offroad that much so im looking at the OME lift with an AAL, but i dont want a worse ride than stock.

Also, i know the OME kit is 3", and ive read that anything over 3" can mess a lot of things up. Is there anything i should be worried about with the OME? Is it pushing the limit?

Last question, if i dont care about a 3" lift all around, should i just skip the top plate spacer? Will that affect anything/make my taco look uneven?

edit: oh yeaaa, do i need to buy longer brake lines with this setup?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Check the link in my sig: bjmoose installs OME.

Quote:
but i dont want a worse ride than stock.
the only way to preserve a stock ride is to keep it stock. Pretty much any lift will ride stiffer than stock, and most folks who lift think that's a good thing.

I personally recommend brake lines with the dakar springs. YMMV.

I'd start without the top plate spacer. 885 springs raise the truck quite a bit already. You can go back and add a top plate easily if you put in longer top plate bolts while you have the strut disassembled.

Any lift introduces risk of VSC troubles (about 20% of the time)

driveline vibrations (about half the time)

faster CV boot wear

needing to trim plastic in the wheelwell when you put on larger tires (varies)

Did you read the stickys at the top of this forum? Lots of good info there.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
K1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kanon
K1992f's Tacoma Gallery
So this post and the pic are same OME toytec complete lift kit they offor $699. ???? I want 3" lift for my truck .. Just don't no much about lifts so I'm learning as I go . I don't have a big wallet so I'm trying to figure what I all need to hey my 3" lift.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Check the link in my sig: bjmoose installs OME.

the only way to preserve a stock ride is to keep it stock. Pretty much any lift will ride stiffer than stock, and most folks who lift think that's a good thing.

I personally recommend brake lines with the dakar springs. YMMV.

I'd start without the top plate spacer. 885 springs raise the truck quite a bit already. You can go back and add a top plate easily if you put in longer top plate bolts while you have the strut disassembled.

Any lift introduces risk of VSC troubles (about 20% of the time)

driveline vibrations (about half the time)

faster CV boot wear

needing to trim plastic in the wheelwell when you put on larger tires (varies)

Did you read the stickys at the top of this forum? Lots of good info there.
bjmoose, i was actually looking at your ome build thread earlier. I know for the most part, all of the potential risks. You recommend the dakars? I would love to do that; however, with the limited offroading i do, i dont necessarily think its worth it, unless the ride wit hthe AAL is terrible or worse than stock...As for the brake lines, you said recommend, does that mean you dont NEED them?

Ive looked at the stickies and read numerous threads, its just hard to formulate all the research into one. Its always bits and pieces and different opinions, barely any threads come out and say: do this, do that, you need this, this will happen..etc.

Appreciate the help, keep it coming!!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
It will be stiffer than stock with the ome lift. These kits are designed to be driven offroad and carry extra gear and stuff(extra weight). You don't need the dakars. A simple aal will be fine. you could go with the wheelers 3 leaf aal. I hear it's a little softer riding than the toytec 1 leaf aal. both give about 1.5" of lift. If you just go with the 885 coils up front with no top plate spacers you should end up with about 2.5" of lift after it settles. Thats plenty for someone who doesn't go wheeling and wants to run bigger tires and have that aggressive look. You want to stay at 3" or less on a simple coilover lift on a 4x4 because of having a front drivetrain and keeping all your cv's and axles lined up correctly.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers was happy to sell me the OME setup without brake lines. Said it was my choice.

If I were doing OME springs in front, without Dakar leaf pack, I'd do a 2" Add-A-Leaf in back. *Avoid the Bro Lean.*

Also, if you want a "moderate height" lift with less chance of troubles, consider using 884 springs instead of 885. 884s set the ride height a little lower than the 885s do.

You probably already know that the most practical, cost effective, bulletproof lift setup is 5100s all the way around set at 1.75(NOT 2.5) in the front, with a 1.5" add-a-leaf in back.

EDIT. The main reason to go with OME shocks vs. a bilstein setup is if you're carrying a loaded truck over prolonged bumpy/washboarded roads. And if you were doing that, you'd want the Dakar leaf pack. The OME springs have a higher spring rate to carry a heavier load, and beefier shock absorbers to fight heat buildup/failure over a prolonged period of time. I guess what I'm saying is that the if you don't really need the Dakar leaf pack, you could probably save some coin by doing a bilstein 5100 lift instead of an OME lift.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
It will be stiffer than stock with the ome lift. These kits are designed to be driven offroad and carry extra gear and stuff(extra weight). You don't need the dakars. A simple aal will be fine. you could go with the wheelers 3 leaf aal. I hear it's a little softer riding than the toytec 1 leaf aal. both give about 1.5" of lift. If you just go with the 885 coils up front with no top plate spacers you should end up with about 2.5" of lift after it settles. Thats plenty for someone who doesn't go wheeling and wants to run bigger tires and have that aggressive look. You want to stay at 3" or less on a simple coilover lift on a 4x4 because of having a front drivetrain and keeping all your cv's and axles lined up correctly.
Thanks! Can you link me to the wheelers 3 leaf aal? Also, if i order for toytec lifts, i have to choose an AAL, so id end up paying for two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Wheelers was happy to sell me the OME setup without brake lines. Said it was my choice.

If I were doing OME springs in front, without Dakar leaf pack, I'd do a 2" Add-A-Leaf in back. *Avoid the Bro Lean.*

Also, if you want a "moderate height" lift with less chance of troubles, consider using 884 springs instead of 885. 884s set the ride height a little lower than the 885s do.

You probably already know that the most practical, cost effective, bulletproof lift setup is 5100s all the way around set at 1.75(NOT 2.5) in the front, with a 1.5" add-a-leaf in back.

EDIT. The main reason to go with OME shocks vs. a bilstein setup is if you're carrying a loaded truck over prolonged bumpy/washboarded roads. And if you were doing that, you'd want the Dakar leaf pack. The OME springs have a higher spring rate to carry a heavier load, and beefier shock absorbers to fight heat buildup/failure over a prolonged period of time. I guess what I'm saying is that the if you don't really need the Dakar leaf pack, you could probably save some coin by doing a bilstein 5100 lift instead of an OME lift.
So you opted out of the brake lines but did you buy some yourself? Im still confused as to whether or not you need new, longer brake lines.

Again, about the AALs, do you happen to know how big the toytec AAL is?

Yea, i know all about the 5100s. I figured i would just spend the extra dough to get a solid setup. I know cost-wise, the 5100s would be the best bet, but ive heard too many good things about OME to pass on it. Ive also heard the ride is better with OMEs than the 5100s.

Some new/needed questions:

-Do i need new longer brake lines?
-What AAL should i go with/where do i get it?
-Should i get the rear TSB before i do the lift? (i know i wouldnt if i was going with the dakars)

Thanks fellas, i apologize for the tidal wave of questions..
Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
No you don't need new brake lines. Just don't whine later if the factory ones eventually wear out. "Some guy on the internet named BJMoose said I didn't need them!" Pay your money, take your chances. No whining.

Whoever sells your shocks and kit will have Add-A-Leafs. They're available in 1.5 and 2" sizes. Talk to a human being not a web form to get one or the other.

AAL adds capacity in and of itself. How much stuff you gonna carry back there? Empty bed? No do TSB. 500 to 1000+lbs ? Do the TSB first.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future55 View Post
-Do i need new longer brake lines?
-What AAL should i go with/where do i get it?
-Should i get the rear TSB before i do the lift? (i know i wouldnt if i was going with the dakars)

Thanks fellas, i apologize for the tidal wave of questions..

- no
- i'd just get the one from toytec
- if they'll let you go for it
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

www.wheelersoffroad.com you can buy the ome setup from them. I bought mine from them and Dan is a super nice guy and will help you with all your questions. You don't need the longer brake lines with just an aal. The tsb really doesn't do much but make the rear a little stiffer and sit a little higher. i never saw a need for it and it don't sound like you will need it.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Thanks for the help guys. TacoSupreem, the only thing about wheelers is they dont have the package that i want. Theirs comes with the dakars. Maybe if i priced everything out from there seperately it would add up to be a better deal than toytec, ill probably do that in a little bit.

So i dont need longer brake lines, but bjmoose, is there something about the lift that wears them down faster? Or are you just saying i will need them "eventually"? Its not like new ones could hurt anyways.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
Dirty Trucker

Just call Dan A.K.A. Yota Dan at wheelers and tell him what you want and he will make a package for you and give you advise on what all you will need.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

keep in mind you get a discount from toytec for being a member
Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Does anyone know what size the AAL Toytec provides for the rear tsb? 1 leaf at 1.5"?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. TacoSupreem, the only thing about wheelers is they dont have the package that i want. Theirs comes with the dakars. Maybe if i priced everything out from there seperately it would add up to be a better deal than toytec, ill probably do that in a little bit.

So i dont need longer brake lines, but bjmoose, is there something about the lift that wears them down faster? Or are you just saying i will need them "eventually"? Its not like new ones could hurt anyways.
The rubber lines will stretch some...but if you start taking it off road alot...You may surpass their ability to stretch...and at that point you are making a mess with brake fluid and in some real danger.
If you are not going to be offroad- You don't need them...but if you are or you might be- It's worth it to knock them out while the whole suspension is torn apart instead of having to go back and do it again....
Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Does anyone know what size the AAL Toytec provides for the rear tsb? 1 leaf at 1.5"?

don't get yourself confused. the tsb is through toyota, they change the leaf pack out with a newer one that has 4 leafs instead of 3.

the AAL from toytec is a 1.5" AAL, but in the rear you get double the lift. 1.5 x 2 = full 3" lift.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
don't get yourself confused. the tsb is through toyota, they change the leaf pack out with a newer one that has 4 leafs instead of 3.

the AAL from toytec is a 1.5" AAL, but in the rear you get double the lift. 1.5 x 2 = full 3" lift.
Sorry i should have been more clear, i meant the AAL that toytec gives you when you select the rear option: "Toytec AAL for TSB springs"

So i understand that the TSB most people refer to is the new leaf pack, but what is the TSB for the springs? Same one or no?