LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Adding 5100's, front or front and rear?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
pollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
pollock21's Tacoma Gallery
Adding 5100's, front or front and rear?

I've been researching and I want to lift the front of my truck, it's my only real goal, just to level out. My plan is to pick up the 5100's and set them to 1.75" and run the stock coils for now. My truck has 1100 miles on it and I'm just not ready to get crazy with it.....yet.

I know that I only need to replace the fronts to achieve the leveling that I'm looking for, but for 283 shipped, I'm wondering If I might as well replace them all? Are the TRD Sport stock billy's that bad? Am I gaining anything by replacing the rears?

Also, anyone with experience aligning their truck after a similar setup? Any other concerns I need to address. Seems like a lot of anti-diff drop sentiment on here, but I'm not an off-roader, so does that make a diff drop a plus? My last car was lowered and I know all the issues you get in when you mess with stock geometry. If this is going to cause any issues, ie. other components needed for alignment, then I'm just going to deal with the rake look.

Believe me guys I've researched and there's a million threads on here about the 5100's, and I'm throwing another one out there. I hope I was specific in what I want to acieve. There's just so many variables in the threads, dc vs ac vs reg, 4x4 vs pre-runner, so I know there are a lot of different options for the various vehicle packages.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
mclapperton is on a distinguished road

mclapperton's Tacoma Gallery
I did the 5100's on the front at first at 1.75". Had to eventually due the rears because 5100's make the oem Billsteins seem cheap. I suggest just do all 4.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
ya might as well do all four if your gunna do the front. And for a little more you can get some remote reservoir shocks for the rear
Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
pollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud of

What about 883's on stock billy's for leveling? Just saw this option, so more research time!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about 883's on stock billy's for leveling? Just saw this option, so more research time!
you would better off with aftermarket shocks. The stockers aren't designed to dampen the stiffer springs.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
'02TRD will become famous soon enough

Name: Jason
'02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
all 4. 5100s are a good choice for inexpensive lift up to 2.5"
Old 12-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
trd sport is on a distinguished road
trd sport's Tacoma Gallery
uca's

If setting the 5100's to 2.5" would you need a new set of uca's for alignment purposes? What is the rule of thumb for replacing stock coils(mileage)?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If setting the 5100's to 2.5" would you need a new set of uca's for alignment purposes? What is the rule of thumb for replacing stock coils(mileage)?
It's kind of hit or miss at 2.5 for the UCA's. Some need them, some don't.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #9

I'm not flirting with it, 1.75" and done. To all the guys looking to push these to 2.5", please remember there's no such thing as a cheap lift.

I've done the opposite on my g35 coupe. Lowered it an inch all the way around, which according to most drivers, would still fall into spec and align. But each car/truck is slightly different. It's really just a gamble. You might align fine, you might not. My car was one of the nasty one's. I added rear camber kit and toe bolts to get into spec, and front uca's on the g, and I was still at -2.1 and -2.0* on the fronts. Upper end of stock was -1.8*. You'd think I'd be ok because I was just above the upper end, but I was chewing through a set of tires a year at around 8000 miles. And that was with the camber kit. UCA's are expensive until you start shredding through tires.

That's the big reason I'm nervous about modding my truck, I don't want the same headache's I dealt with before. I paid the money for the uca's for my car and still burned through tires. And believe me, replacing 275/35/19's rear and 245/35/19's front was not cheap. I'm doing my due dilligence on the subject before I do anything.

From what I gather, you can push the Billy's up to 2.5", but you're gonna be flirting with the need for uca's, and even if you don't need them, you'll be at the upper extreme factory limits and still might have caster issues. Not to mention you're compressing the factory spring further, losing shock travel, and moving to a rougher ride. If you want to raise the front 2.5", save up an extra 200 bucks and run a lift coil on the 5100. To the experts on here, if anything I've stated is incorrect, please chime in. My statements above are based on my research and no personal experience at all.

I just want everyone to know what kind of trouble they can get in if every detail isn't thought through. I'm an engineer so I'm meticulous with detail and research, to the point it's almost annoying, but I want to understand every last detail before I make a decision.

My opinion on the rule of thumb, if it's a borderline situation, the rule of thumb is that you'll need them. So save up enough to pick up the uca's and do it right. You'll spend an extra 80 on an alignment if you don't go with the uca's, install at 2.5" and align at the upper limit or out of spec, then go out and install the uca's and need another alignment. Please, do it right the first time. In the long run, you'll save money. So wait another few months and just save up. I'd have done so many things different with my car. One of which is when my friend told me not to spend 300 on my drop springs and save up another 3-700 and do coilovers. But I didn't listen.....
Old 12-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
Reaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: P3 Flight Engineer / 737 Crew Chief
Name: Brandon
Reaper10's Tacoma Gallery
I ran the 5100's set at 1.75 initially... Then I wanted more... Set them to 2.5. Alignment was "within spec" but not really close to ideal. This is how it starts. I put a set of billies up front to level the truck that's all I really wanted...Then came the rear billies... Then I decided to ditch the stock coils and go with the toytec coil over kit for the 5100's and that meant LR UCAs. Alignment is great now. The moral of the story is this. Just buy everything now cuz you're gonna end up doing it later anyway.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
Reepur is on a distinguished road
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper10 View Post
I ran the 5100's set at 1.75 initially... Then I wanted more... Set them to 2.5. Alignment was "within spec" but not really close to ideal. This is how it starts. I put a set of billies up front to level the truck that's all I really wanted...Then came the rear billies... Then I decided to ditch the stock coils and go with the toytec coil over kit for the 5100's and that meant LR UCAs. Alignment is great now. The moral of the story is this. Just buy everything now cuz you're gonna end up doing it later anyway.
Exactly, I ordered my 4 billie's, UCA's , add a leaf , brake lines( felt what the hell), all at the same time, (getting today btw)
Old 12-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #13
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished the rear Toytec add a leaf and rear Billie 5100 install late last night, took it for a run around the block and hit every pot hole I could find. Rides 10x better even with the 200#+ of cinder block that I have in the back. Would do the front , but have to wait cause we are expecting a bunch of snow the next couple of days.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
Eman5pt0 has a spectacular aura aboutEman5pt0 has a spectacular aura about
Name: E
Eman5pt0's Tacoma Gallery
with the billies what AAL did u go with ?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
rvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to all

Name: cameron
rvcahawaii808's Tacoma Gallery
pics of the g35?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #18

Pics of my old girl as requested, I do miss her sometimes....but I love my truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Adding 5100's, front or front and rear?-iso1.jpg   Adding 5100's, front or front and rear?-iso2.jpg   Adding 5100's, front or front and rear?-iso6.jpg   Adding 5100's, front or front and rear?-iso5.jpg   Adding 5100's, front or front and rear?-iso4.jpg  

Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #19
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5pt0 View Post
with the billies what AAL did u go with ?
Sorry for late response, went out of town for a couple of days.

I went with the Toytec 1.5" non TSB AAL's.
Still very happy with my setup.