Notices

Minimize lift with 5100s

Old 12-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
twigpig is on a distinguished road
Army: 523rd Military Police Company
Name: Brad
twigpig's Tacoma Gallery
Minimize lift with 5100s

I want to keep the center of gravity as low as I can for my recently purchased 06 Prerunner. Currently the original shocks are shot and it does not handle very well. After reading this forum at length I ordered and received 5100s from Down South Motorsports (very easy, fast and nice price). I have also ordered a set of Ride Rite air bags from Truck Addons. My truck is way out of warranty and does not have the TSB rear spring. I haul about 10 loads of firewood a year and have a 2001 Kawasaki Voyager that I may need to haul on occasion. I will not be offroading. I went with the air bags instead of the AALs because I did not want to raise the rear any more than I have to.

I am itching to install the billies. My wife just got home from Harbor Freight with the spring compressors. Should I wait till the air bags get here and install the rear shocks and bags at once? I was thinking of leaving the front shocks set at stock height. Is there any handling improvement if I set the front shocks a little higher or is it more aesthetics to level the front end?

The Tacoma is replacing my 89 Ford Ranger that I have owned since it was brand new. It was a good truck and was still running good but my wife was starting to drive it a bit more and it did not have airbags. A drunk driver killed a friend in his pickup that did not have any airbags a few years ago. Also it was getting harder to fit me, my wife and 11 year old daughter in the Ranger.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW Brad.

Setting the billies at stock height will improve your ride compared to before, simply because the 5100's are a better shock than the stockers. Setting them to level you out, which in your case (no rear lift) would be at the 0.85" setting, will slightly stiffen the ride. This is because the 5100's preload the springs to achieve lift.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
I installed 5100s at stock height in the front of my 4x4 a few months ago. I also installed a set at the back of the truck. I love the ride compared the factory Bilsteins. Railway crossings used to make the rear of my truck bounce around but now the suspension seems more controlled.

I have a set of ride-rites to install as well. It would make sense to install the rear shocks at the same time as the air bags since the truck will be jacked up anyway.

If you want to keep the COG as low as possible, that would be stock height - so set the front 5100s at 0" lift.