Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

RCD 4.5 Do it yourself

Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
arrowthrower is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
arrowthrower's Tacoma Gallery
RCD 4.5 Do it yourself

Anybody tried to install theirselves? Wondering if it is really hard, or worth saving some money. Also having knowledge of working on your own stuff.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
So i guess nobody has installed their own lift??
Old 12-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Many people may be busy with the holidays so a response to your specific inquiry may take longer than expected. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Ask solus694 and PreRunnerSeth.
They did the RCD lift but if i remember it took some time, but they got it all in.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
No personal experience. But if you plan on doing this, make sure you have the capabilities to cut and weld the crossmember. I also think that alot of time may be spent on puuling stuff off of the old spindle and replacing them on the rcd spindle. Im sure someone on heres done this and will chime in.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There was just a thread on this. Some have done it on their own.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
ive installed this type of lift before on my 91 pickup..its easy just a little time consuming..take your time, have the right tools and you will get it donw..I plan on installing mine FWIW. this time it should be easier since the truck is pretty new and not rusted like the 91 i had
Old 12-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunnerseth, Senor_Taco, Celtic and I installed mine... it took a long ass time. No need to weld, just need something to cut the cross member. The majority of the time was spent disassembling and reassembling the shocks, LCA, UCA, tie rods, and getting the damn axle nut off. In all it took about 16 hours w/ a few breaks and a couple of trips to the auto parts store.

it was a pain but doable... probably should have tackled this over two days instead on just one

I also learned a ton... btw, if you don't have air tools then I wouldn't do this...

one more thing... wheelersoffroad.com has the RCD kit for the cheapest... $1799.00 plus shipping
Old 12-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Thanks. No i am considering Pro Comp since it is $800 cheaper. What does everyone think about Pro Comp?? I heard RCD is better.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
The Procomp basic 6" uses giant front spacers... while the RCD uses "custom" non-adjustable bilstein 5100s with stock springs thus RCD is better
Old 12-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
RCD. 4.5" is perfect height. plus the custom 5100's are way better than the huge spacers.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
HOSS454 is on a distinguished road
HOSS454's Tacoma Gallery
i have installed this lift by myself... took me the whole weekend but wasnʻt too bad... just a couple trips to the hardware store set me back some time, but all in all, it was easy to do, if you got the tools... and i got my rcd lift cheaper from dsms... they are awesome...
Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
You got it cheaper than $1799? Even if Pro Comp is $800 cheaper, i have to go to an 18" wheels and tire. That is $800 difference there. I am sold on RCD. Does anyone know about warranty with RCD? Also i can't get anyone to say if they support 2011. All the local dealers will not backup because RCD just makes them for 05-10.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
^don't know about the warranty, but theres not much different between 2010s and 2011s...

RCD warrants their parts against failure though... you don't need 18s with RCD either... obviously since I have 17s
Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
I am just waiting for Wheelers to open so I can call!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
Just to let you guys know. http://anyoffroadparts.com/i-2770976...-10-47405.html

$1800 with free shipping. Cheapest I have found.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Have it installed. Took my mechanics about 8 hours with proper equipment. You will thank yourself later for buying this kit after you see how well it performs. I love mine.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowthrower View Post
Just to let you guys know. http://anyoffroadparts.com/i-2770976...-10-47405.html

$1800 with free shipping. Cheapest I have found.
thats a good price... wheelersoffroad has them for $1799.00 w/o tax but shipping is extra
Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #19
K1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kanon
K1992f's Tacoma Gallery
On this lift there's no aal to rear ?? Everything you need for this lift come with it ????
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #20
As far as I know.