Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Front end noise/vibe?????

Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Front end noise/vibe?????

I just got my lift done and my allignment. I now ave that annoying vibe and growlingnoise from the front diff. I took out the dif drop hoping that was the problem, but nope. still there.
What can I do to fix this, bescides lowering the lift, or taking it to the dealer. I think my warrenty is up anyways.
shouldve gotten the damn RCD lift!!! stupid CV's!!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Metallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to behold
Metallikatz3's Tacoma Gallery
Does the noise go away in 4wd?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
KColoTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KColoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to KColoTaco
^^^ Thats the deal breaker it it does, theres a good chance its the needle bearing in the diff, only a couple other possibilities.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
yes it goes away in 4wd... I thaught it might be the bearing... I also had this vibe in my 02 but over time it got better and then went away.
Should I put my diff drop back in? Or not.
Also what could happen if I leave it the way it is, will it hurt anything? damage the diff?
thanks for the help!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #6

I personally would put the diff drop in, but it is a personal preference I can't say it is absolutely necessary.

Driving the truck with a bad diff needle bearing(if thats the problem), could cause two problems. One the cv shaft bearing surface will get ruined eventually. The next problem is that the spider gears in the diff could be damaged in the long run.

I don't think there will be any catastrophic damage until it make a whole lot more noise.

I just changed my needle bearing. There is a few more things to check before you narrow it down to the diff but it sounds like it.

This thread will help.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...iff-now-9.html
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #7

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! how hoard is it to change out the bearing? and whats the cost?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #9

Before you go changing the needle bearing find out how much slop there is in the cv coming out of the drivers side of the diff. If it's more than a 1/4 inch thats probably the problem. Changing it is not an easy process, if you don't drop the diff its just difficult if you do its really pretty hard. I think would could do it for $120 dollars if you have all the tools. Taking it somewhere could cost between $400 and $800.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #10

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Im ganna try the dealer first bc I have an exteded warrenty. then if they wont do it. I geuss its up to me....
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
MRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to behold

Name: Marco
MRW's Tacoma Gallery
I was so excited to lift the truck but after reading what feels like hundreds of post regarding vibes after the billys installed, or any lift, I am second guessing ordering the parts right away.

I know the easy find is throwing it in 4wd, but how about for us the are just 2x4? Is this problem exactly the same for both 4 and 2 wheel tacos?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWorks View Post
I was so excited to lift the truck but after reading what feels like hundreds of post regarding vibes after the billys installed, or any lift, I am second guessing ordering the parts right away.

I know the easy find is throwing it in 4wd, but how about for us the are just 2x4? Is this problem exactly the same for both 4 and 2 wheel tacos?
if your 2x4 then you dont need to worry about noises coming from the non-existent front diff. have my prerunner lifted no problems whatsoever.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
MRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to behold

MRW's Tacoma Gallery
Oh really? So all the 4x2 lifted guys don't have any vibe issues?? Please let me know if you are lifted and have any issues with your 4x2 before I oull the trigger on all these parts!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Truck guy
spamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud of
spamy's Tacoma Gallery
Thread hijacker - The vibration seems to be related to the front diff and 4wd, sooooo if you have a 2wd truck you may not have the problem, unless its actually a 4wd and someone stole the stickers off of the truck.

OP - there is plenty of reading to do on this...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-diff-now.html
Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #15

MRW's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, I will start a different thread
Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #16

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Ive read all the threads about this problem, and my truck is at the dealer right now getting looked at. There ganna have my truck all freaken day! I hope to hear from them around 4-5pm. But Im starting to think they wont do anything bc I lifted it.
And there ganna charge me 94 bucks just to look at it! what a rip!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #17

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
they got back to me and told me the only thing they found was the water pump needed changing.
Tomorrow im going to talk to the tech, and tell him that its the diff. side bearing thats shot!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #18

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
they finally agree its the diff. and are ganna get the ok to get the work done to fix it. And then get back to me monday to tell me if its ganna get done or not...
I hope it is!