Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

how's a 1st gen supposed to drive?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
summerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsummerboy1958 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
summerboy1958's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy how's a 1st gen supposed to drive?

I have a couple of questions about the suspension in the 1st Gen Tacoma. I have had my extended cab for about a year now. When I drive it over a twisty road with a rough surface, the ride is… well… exciting? It bounds and jumps around. I have always figured this was just the way thy ride. On straight bumpy roads, the ride feels like any other pick up truck, rougher than some, but not too bad.

I installed Timbren suspension assists because I haul my own firewood. When I first installed them, there wasn’t the suggested 1” of clearance over the axle, but I didn’t think much of it as the ride didn’t seem to change. That is until I went over the nearby railroad crossing. The Timbrens bottomed out with no load and it felt like my spine had gotten shoved through my skull. I called Timbren and they sent a set that was shorter. That seemed to solve the issue. With the increased clearance, the ride over the rail crossing was just a bump, like before. The truck has run fine for several months, whether loaded with wood or driving to work.

I finally got enough money to replace my tires and went with the Michelins. The ride is great, still bumpy, but muted. All was great until I went over the rail crossing. It’s back to spine crunching. I checked under the truck to see if the Timbrens had come loose, but they look fine.

Here are my questions.

• Is it normal for the front end of a 1st Gen to bounce around when on twisty, bumpy roads (at 45 – 65 MPH)?
  • Got any idea what might have happened to my rear suspension when they installed my tires? Is there anything I should look for? Is there a picture I could take that would help the diagnosis?

Any help is appreciated!!