Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Upper Bushing on 5100's

Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Upper Bushing on 5100's

So I've been having a dreadful squeak from my driver's side wheel well for months now. I finally had time to take apart my entire suspension yesterday and thank Jebus, I was able to finally figure out what is causing my truck to squeak like a 20 year old truck. Take a look at the pictures:

Notice that the bushing on top of the top plate is not compressed on the driver's side as it is on the passenger's side. This allows the entire shaft assembly to move around and thus causing the awful squeaks. The retaining nut is tightened down the same amount on both sides though, so what could it be?

Passenger's side:

Driver's side:
FYI- We put grease on the bushing only to temporarily get rid of the squeak until I am able to figure out why the bushing is not getting compressed and tightened like the passenger side is. You can see the grease is smothered all around the bushing.

What could be the issue here?
Why is the retaining nut not compressing the bushing onto the top plate like it's supposed to and like it is on the passenger's side?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Bottom bushing not installed? Missing bottom bushing washer?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks Keith.

Chas, I spoke with Marco from Downsouth Motorsports and he mentioned the same thing. He said either it's completely missing the bushing ("cushion" as Toyota calls it) that goes under the top plate, or it's damaged and needs to be replaced. I purchased the bushing from toyota so i'll be taking apart the strut assembly this afternoon. Hopefully it's just that.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Baja bound

Finally figured out what the problem was!

When you install 5100's, make sure that if you DON'T install the rubber dust boot, at least install the metal spacer piece that's part of the boot.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
Finally figured out what the problem was!

When you install 5100's, make sure that if you DON'T install the rubber dust boot, at least install the metal spacer piece that's part of the boot.
Glad that was it! I told you it would be something dumb, lol! Well at least you know you won't need new top plates anytime soon!

Let us know if we can help you with anything else...

Thanks,
Marco