Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Stage 1 pro comp tire fitment question

Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Stage 1 pro comp tire fitment question

Ive seen alot of guys with 35"s and alot with 33"s, Im wondering if the 33"s are better offroad? Like flexing and ect? I know ill probably get flamed but can find a strait forward answer. Another thing the 33"s are like 200$ more? Any help would be appreciated guys. Ive got my mind set on the stage one kit just gotta find a good price seen em for 1,000$ after rebate just gotta find that site.

So will 33"s be better offroad and daily driver? Or should I go for the 35"s? I know Ill lose mpg's and yada yada but I wanna know whats better offroad? Thanks fellas!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
really depends on offroading u do. 35's rub and u need to notch your body mount and do some trimming to get them to not rub often and even then some people still get some rubbing. 33's are cheaper and lighter and fit better. however u lose a inch ground clearance. really depends on what u will be happy with.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
What's better offroad? For starters, NOT the drop bracket lift you are looking at.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
What's better offroad? For starters, NOT the drop bracket lift you are looking at.
x2
Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
Quote:
not true plenty of people here offroad heavier then anyone else here an they have db lifts, so u cant make that statement.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allrsdup View Post
not true plenty of people here offroad heavier then anyone else here an they have db lifts, so u cant make that statement.
I can make that statement as a matter of my opinion based on people with whom I have spoken. I can wheel the shit out of a Prius, but it's not the best choice.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I dont want this to turn into a bash thread on drop bracket lifts, but I cant see buying a 3" lift and having to trim the hell out of it to get 33"s. Remember im a gen 2. Ive talked to lots of guys with drop bracket lifts and they love them so im goin to get one. I also hear when people want the 6" and get the 3" they regret it. I just wanna fit 33"s or somethin similar and be good offroad and I dont know if there is enough room to flex 33"s with the 3" suspension lift and the price difference in and ome and a pro comp stage 1 is like 100$ so 3" for 100$ extra bucks ill take it.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #8

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
It's your truck, but you did ask. There is plenty of room for 33's on a gen 2 with minor trimming. A 6" lift will give you room for 35's with the same amount of trimming.I know of more people that regret their DB lift then the other way around. Once you do it, there's no going back.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
Street glide or die

I didnt ask for opinions on the lift I was asking more about tire size and whats best for offroad, but im not trying to be a dick dude. I would be totally destroyed if I put this 6" on with the 35"s I want and the ride sucked like you say... and would prolly try to sell my truck lol. So I guess ill talk to more db guys and ask how they are liking the kit now. What are the names of the members you spoke to that have them and dislike them? And if you dont wanna post them p.m. me please.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Tippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh Tippett
Tippett's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Just a heads up... I just bought a Stage 1 kit yesterday and pro comp is running a $400 rebate that ends tomorrow! Kit was $1436, and then you get a $400 mail in rebate. That puts it to $1036 which is a GREAT deal!

seach through my recently created threads and you will find it
Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #11

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Hit up bcgredneck. His name is Fred, he will tell you about his DB.

I wish you luck in whatever you end up getting, I have just heard bad things about the performance of the DB lifts. They don't add any ground clearance (except that gained from the tires) and many say that they do not ride or flex well.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #12

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Furthermore, it looks like the Stage 1 comes with lift blocks. If this is true, I think that you will find that you experience much more axle wrap and your leaf springs will wear out much more quickly. If you get the add-a-leaf, you would be better off. New leaf packs would, of course, be best.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

I have 35" MT MTZ's on my 2005 with the stage 1 PC lift on it. I'm also running 17" Pro Comp 7105's. I barely run at all at full lock. I will rub on a hill or something like that while trying to turn but thats about it.

On my other second gen, 2007 TRD PreRunner, I have the 6" Fabtech with 33/12.50/18 Toyo MT's with KMC Monsters. On that truck, the 33's rub like mother-effer. Why? I dunno...backspacing maybe. Take it for what it's worth. Havent had a problem with either DB lift. The ride is solid and I have felt little loss of power with 35's/6-speed. My 2007 is auto with the 33's and feels the same as stock power. I also have intake, exhaust, etc (if those do anything). A lot of people hate on the 6" kits and I bet 99% of them DONT have or have driven a truck with that kit on it. You know what they say about opinions...
Old 12-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They don't add any ground clearance (except that gained from the tires) ...
They actually decrease ground clearance due to the way the drop bracket is set up.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I have 35" MT MTZ's on my 2005 with the stage 1 PC lift on it. I'm also running 17" Pro Comp 7105's. I barely run at all at full lock. I will rub on a hill or something like that while trying to turn but thats about it.

On my other second gen, 2007 TRD PreRunner, I have the 6" Fabtech with 33/12.50/18 Toyo MT's with KMC Monsters. On that truck, the 33's rub like mother-effer. Why? I dunno...backspacing maybe. Take it for what it's worth. Havent had a problem with either DB lift. The ride is solid and I have felt little loss of power with 35's/6-speed. My 2007 is auto with the 33's and feels the same as stock power. I also have intake, exhaust, etc (if those do anything). A lot of people hate on the 6" kits and I bet 99% of them DONT have or have driven a truck with that kit on it. You know what they say about opinions...
yeah what is the back spacing on both setups? that might be the problem. strange for sure.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #16
Street glide or die

jdmcq I appreciate the imput on the topic of drop bracket lifts, it is really something to think about. Also KPT about the info on the lift/not actuall lift.

But the main reason I started the thread is to see what tires will fit while flexing ect offroad, backspacing have to be more than 4.5" from what I remember correct me if im wrong anyone. But offsett and ect I know nothing about and need help in that field. I am talking to a guy at a local 4wd show that does alot of lifts wheels and tires, and he said the same thing about the rear im actually gunna go up their tomoro cause he said he can order a "custom" leaf pack that will lift it.

So now im just looking for the right place and time ($$$) to buy the 6" lift. And I might as well get the coil overs now cause I hear the stage 1-2 is day and night (but that may also just be an opinion)

Thank you all for chiming in and if there is anything more to be said or any wornings out there id like to hear them and know 100% what im gettin myself into.

Much appreciated guys!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #17

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for getting off track Mike. Good luck with whatever you decide. Let us know how you make out.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
Street glide or die

I appreciate the support and no need to apologize but its appreciated. I know everyone on here just wants to warn people and help them find the best lift/ other things.