Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What is the TSB?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
What is the TSB?

i am a little confused. what is the tsb service? is it a suspention upgrade? is a recall? how much does it cost? any info helpfull. thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
i am a little confused. what is the tsb service? is it a suspention upgrade? is a recall? how much does it cost? any info helpfull. thanks
is basically toyota saying they know there is a problem with the suspension, and if the customer complains.......they will fix it. its a suspension upgrade.....going from 3 leafs to 4, and if you have just an sr5 truck........you get bilstein shocks too. its really an awesome upgrade. i had the 06 i had done.......and it rode awesome then....like a truck should, without having the axle wrap and bottoming out i had before i got it done..........and best of all, its on toyotas dime!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
A TSB is Technical Service Bulletin. It's NOT a recall, but more of an informative document from Toyota to Toyota Service departments.
They do not actively advertise these bulletins to customers, but the service folks canuse them if they have a reoccuring or hard to diagnose problem.

The main TSB you hear about here is the Harsh Ride TSB- They replace the leaf pack and the shocks in the back to deal with a bottoming out problem. There are many other TSBs for these trucks.

Your truck falls into the category of "might need" the TSB (if you bought it new and haven't had it done). Your truck is also probably within warranty- so the probable cost is approximatly 0 dollars.

If you search the forum you can find the a few threads that will explain the Harsh Ride TSB more specifically, give you some pointers on how to figure out if you need it, and even post the entire TSB so you know what they are doing to your Taco.

Good luck!!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
If learn of a TSB and your car is out of warranty you can still get it done for free, but you need Toyota to sign off on it.. This is hard with out inside help...

but this is how i got a free exhuast for a 1975 hilux in 2000. But at the time I knew the factory rep for CA and worked at a dealer...
Old 08-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
well i got it done today and wow what a difference. i noticed the rear is alot higher than before. i am deffently going to have to get one of those level things now. i had no problems at all with toyota. called them up friday and they said when can you bring it in. i would have never known about this issue if it was not for tacoma world. THANKS GUYS.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
well i got it done today and wow what a difference. i noticed the rear is alot higher than before. i am deffently going to have to get one of those level things now. i had no problems at all with toyota. called them up friday and they said when can you bring it in. i would have never known about this issue if it was not for tacoma world. THANKS GUYS.
go with a set of bilstein 5100's up front(and rear if you want....good deals from downsouthmotorsports on ebay) to level the front.......great ride and better than a spacer!!! glad to hear you had a pleasant toyota experience!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Give it some time...the springs should settle and the rear will drop a bit.

Unless of course, you're looking for an excuse to modify something.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
let me get this straight so if i purchased a new 08 taco prerunner sr5 thats only a month old with 1800 miles i can still get this done without ne charge? what should i say when i go 2 the dealership in order 2 get this done?
Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmon420 View Post
let me get this straight so if i purchased a new 08 taco prerunner sr5 thats only a month old with 1800 miles i can still get this done without ne charge? what should i say when i go 2 the dealership in order 2 get this done?
you will want to print out and take with you a copy of the tsb.....and tell them before hand that you have a harsh ride and that when you put a load in the bed.....it bounces off the bump stops too easy. they may want you to prove it, so you may need to go buy some sand bags to recreate ti if they want you to.

edit......it cant be a regular cab either.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
so could i get it done on my 08 reg cab 4x2?? at no cost.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
so could i get it done on my 08 reg cab 4x2?? at no cost.
sorry bro, the reg cabs aint included in the tsb. i edited my above response to say that the reg. cab isnt included in the tsb.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
you will want to print out and take with you a copy of the tsb.....and tell them before hand that you have a harsh ride and that when you put a load in the bed.....it bounces off the bump stops too easy. they may want you to prove it, so you may need to go buy some sand bags to recreate ti if they want you to.

edit......it cant be a regular cab either.
Tacomaman06,

Is this also valid for my 330 mile 09 double cab pre-runner? This post got me all excited thinking I could be a part of this service. Thanks!

Rob
Old 08-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sorry bro, the reg cabs aint included in the tsb. i edited my above response to say that the reg. cab isnt included in the tsb.
dammit. oh well
Old 08-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero niner View Post
Tacomaman06,

Is this also valid for my 330 mile 09 double cab pre-runner? This post got me all excited thinking I could be a part of this service. Thanks!

Rob
Rob,

supposedly the springs on the 09's are fixed so that there isnt a problem with them. however, there are probably some 09's that dont ahve the fixed springs, even though they arent the 4 leaf pack. check your springs and see what the end letters on the springs are and post back. more than likely, you have the updated 3 leaf pack, but i could be wrong. best thing to do is load the bed up and see where the bump stops are....how close they are to the frame. let us know. if they are close, and the truck rides "harsh" with a load.....you may be able to get a dealer to do the tsb done, or you may have to call the toyota 800 number to see if they will help you out.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Quote:
Rob,

supposedly the springs on the 09's are fixed so that there isnt a problem with them. however, there are probably some 09's that dont ahve the fixed springs, even though they arent the 4 leaf pack. check your springs and see what the end letters on the springs are and post back.
Thanks! The letter I presume are the ones spray painted (guessing) in a stencil, if so, mine say CHI. Thanks.

Rob
Old 08-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #17
romeo oscar bravo

Oh and they are still only 3 leaf springs!

Rob
Old 08-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #18
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i just checked 2 c if i had the 4 leaf springs but i dont. so im going 2 c if i hit the dealer this week comming up and c what they tell me.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #19

the end letter on the springs should have a "g" at the end of the numbers. im not sure what chi is, but that soesnt really say anything.

zero niner.......can you take some pics of the springs and show all the letters and numbers on the springs for identification?? post them on here for us??
Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #20
romeo oscar bravo

Quote:
the end letter on the springs should have a "g" at the end of the numbers. im not sure what chi is, but that soesnt really say anything.

zero niner.......can you take some pics of the springs and show all the letters and numbers on the springs for identification?? post them on here for us??
Um, hey I'm new at this, standing outside the wheel and just looking at the spring, all I could see was CHI

Then I went to take a picture and low and behold, what magical numbers all in a row did appear!

I could tell you that I built up and did all the suspension work on my 73 land cruiser and 93 land cruiser but I'm sure you wouldn't believe me... doh!

Rob