Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to beef up my ifs

Old 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Sprink21 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
Sprink21's Tacoma Gallery
How to beef up my ifs

Im gonna buy the ToyTech ultimate lift kit for my 2010 Taco. All I hear from my friends is how weak my stock ifs is. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what should be on my priority list for beefing up my ifs. The last thing i want is to be stranded on a trail in the middle of now where. Sorry if a similar thread had already been posted, I couldn't find it.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome! Yea the ifs isnt very reliable, thats why many reccomend doing a sas ( solid axle swap). its expensive, but by beefing up stock ifs, you a really sugar coating a turd. Research SAS
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
There are plenty of threads in the suspension section. It starts to boil down to your intended use then preference.

You could go all out bat shit crazy out the gate and instead get Icon/Fox resis all around instead of TULK. 5100s are usually fine for most. UCAs are good to upgrade for clearance/alignment/strength issues. You can get on Total Chaos for those as well as spindle gussets. Sounds like a decent start to me and Welcome
Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
??? Are you reffering to how weak the IFS in general (mechanically-cv axles etc) or just shocks/struts and similar
Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprink21 View Post
Im gonna buy the ToyTech ultimate lift kit for my 2010 Taco. All I hear from my friends is how weak my stock ifs is. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what should be on my priority list for beefing up my ifs. The last thing i want is to be stranded on a trail in the middle of now where. Sorry if a similar thread had already been posted, I couldn't find it.
They are probably exaggerating on how weak it is. If you get aftermarket UCA's along with the lift, it will be pretty damn tough. As long as you know the truck's limits, you can do some crazy stuff with the ifs. But like another poster said, a solid axle would be way stronger, but also way overkill if your just doing trails and stuff.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt spend cash to beef it up if you dont plan to use it and break it in the first place.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. Which thread do you want us to answer:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...up-my-ifs.html
Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
Welcome! Yea the ifs isnt very reliable, thats why many reccomend doing a sas ( solid axle swap). its expensive, but by beefing up stock ifs, you a really sugar coating a turd. Research SAS
ughhh, it's completely reliable, unless your stressing the cv axles a lot.
I've had a lift on my ifs for a while now, and not had a single issue.

OP, I don't thin you need to beef up the front end too much, new coilovers and uca's will be more than enough!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Im asking about both mechanically and shocks and struts.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Sorry about double posting this. I didnt see the first post come up so I posted it again.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Hey there neighbor!
The IFS is more then enough for the Trails in our area, and is plenty tough. SAS is just over kill and way too spendy to do.
If you plan to do offroading regularly then I would just do a mid travel set-up in the front.
Icon ext. travel coilovers and TC UCA's. and maybe also remove the sway bar for some more travel.
Thats the route I want to go, bc these RadFlo's arent that great travel wise.....

Hope that helps ya!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprink21 View Post
Im asking about both mechanically and shocks and struts.
Mechanically, nothing.

Shocks? High-end,extended travel coil overs, designed to be used with new upper control arms that use uniballs instead of ball joints.

For example Total Chaos upper arms and King extended travel coilovers.

Thats it. You will get 0-2.5" of lift, anything more will cause you to tear a CV boot and then destroy your front suspension.

Nothing else to be done short of a $10,000+ long travel suspension set up.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
You could always add the spindle gussets, LCA skids, "Lower Control Arm Cam Tab Gussets", and carry a spare cv assembly and tools to swap it out. There are guys on here running 315s and wheel hard on the stock IFS, you'll be fine. I'd focus more on armor and recovery.