Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Premature Tire Wear

Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
bigdog83 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
bigdog83's Tacoma Gallery
Premature Tire Wear

I just bought an '02 trd xcab v6 with 85,000 original miles which goes straight down the road with no pull or shimmy....the problem is that the inside of the front BFG rugged trails are wearing noticeably...I dont know if this is common for Tacomas or if the tires are just junk. The tires only have about 26,000 on them and they need to be replaced....not sure about the rotation history. I have to put new A/T's on but dont like the wear pattern I'm seeing. Any insight out there?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like your camber is off. I would get an alignment before its too late and the tires are toast.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Thanks for the reply....the camber certainly makes sense especially since the bilsteins are solid and there is no other indication of front end issues. I do know that the previous owner had a 4 wheel alignment done when he put the BFG's on 26,000 miles ago. So hard to figure...I was thinking it may be an inherent trait of these trucks and that why i turned to TW for answers.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog83 View Post
Thanks for the reply....the camber certainly makes sense especially since the bilsteins are solid and there is no other indication of front end issues. I do know that the previous owner had a 4 wheel alignment done when he put the BFG's on 26,000 miles ago. So hard to figure...I was thinking it may be an inherent trait of these trucks and that why i turned to TW for answers.
Did you add the bilsteins and not get an alignment ?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of trucks will wear the inside of the front tires quicker which is why we rotate the tires. If all 4 tires wore evenly, there'd be no need. I'd get an alignment done when you get your new tires but keep on your tire rotations and you'll get a lot more life out of your tires. You can still swap them to the rear to try and even them out a little (depending on how worn they are).
Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Did you add the bilsteins and not get an alignment ?

No. The bilsteins were OE with the TRD. I'm starting to think there is nothing wrong with the truck itself and this is more a case of not enough rotation...or the BFG's are just junk. I haven't heard very good things about the Rugged Trails.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
A lot of trucks will wear the inside of the front tires quicker which is why we rotate the tires. If all 4 tires wore evenly, there'd be no need. I'd get an alignment done when you get your new tires but keep on your tire rotations and you'll get a lot more life out of your tires. You can still swap them to the rear to try and even them out a little (depending on how worn they are).

Thanks Pugga, I'm a big believer in tire rotation...just think the previous ownner was not. Just trying to make sure this is not a trait for these trucks.