Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3 inch Spacer lift opinion.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
shaman06 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
shaman06's Tacoma Gallery
3 inch Spacer lift opinion.

I just got a 3 inch EZ-lift kit installed on my 06 tacoma with spacers in the front and an aal iin the back. I have been hearing alot of talk about alignment problems and shocks breaking with spacers, if i don't do any heavy off roading, what is the worst that can happen with this kind of lift? Also would uca's help prevent any damage with this?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of spacers? Preload or top plate?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman06 View Post
I just got a 3 inch EZ-lift kit installed on my 06 tacoma with spacers in the front and an aal iin the back. I have been hearing alot of talk about alignment problems and shocks breaking with spacers, if i don't do any heavy off roading, what is the worst that can happen with this kind of lift? Also would uca's help prevent any damage with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
What kind of spacers? Preload or top plate?
x2, the "worst thing that can happen" is different depending on which type of spacer the OP has.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
Eman is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
Eman's Tacoma Gallery
(EZ-lift kits use top plate spacers-on top of shock-strut) Alignment problems are going to be the same with what ever you use to lift the front.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
MaddMaxx is on a distinguished road

MaddMaxx's Tacoma Gallery
I've been considering the Toytec 3" Spacer Lift with the rear AALs.
Reason for this is because this is one of the lifts that the local dealership will install themselves and still stand behind the warranty.
I'm sure that this is not the best lift (Procomp or Fabtech is probably the best (IMO)), however, the fact that it would be covered in the warranty is the attractive part for me.
Whether or not this is true, idk. It's just what the stealership told me.

Any of you guys have this Toytec lift?

If so, ever have any of the previously mentioned problems? faster wear?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
LOL at dealership warrantying a lift that they would give you a hassle about if done in your garage.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMaxx View Post
I've been considering the Toytec 3" Spacer Lift with the rear AALs.
Reason for this is because this is one of the lifts that the dealership will install and stand behind the warranty.
I'm sure that this is not the best lift, however, the fact that it would be covered in the warranty is the attractive part for me.
Whether or not this is true, idk. It's just what the stealership told me.

Any of you guys have this Toytec lift?
only thing voided from warranty is what is modified...spacer voids the front struts...new coil over voids old coil over Pay extra and get a better lift.
Quote:
uca will help alignment, ride, and travel. If you don't do heavy off roading u wont break a shock....interstate travel of 70mph on an old road will require sum "buck up and hang on"
Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
(EZ-lift kits use top plate spacers-on top of shock-strut) Alignment problems are going to be the same with what ever you use to lift the front.
Okay, if they are top-plate spacers, they can cause two issues:

1. By lengthening the entire shock assembly, your bump stops are useless. You will bottom out the shock before you hit the bump stops.

2. By forcing the whole shock assembly down, you put a lot of stress on your ball joints.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
MaddMaxx is on a distinguished road

MaddMaxx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
LOL at dealership warrantying a lift that they would give you a hassle about if done in your garage.
Right. It's BS that they would void something you do yourself, and stand behind something they do, even if it's exactly the same.

But if that's what it would take to maintain warranty, I think I would pay a little more to have them do it, than do it myself or put something else on, and them not back up the warranty at all.

I know about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but not 100% sure about its verbaige and what covers what.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
shaman06 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
shaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Could I get bilstein shocks with the spacers to improve the performance?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Could I get bilstein shocks with the spacers to improve the performance?
Won't do much since they are top-plate spacers. They don't stiffen the ride to begin with.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I ran coil spacers for over a year out in lower Idaho. no rock crawling but I did wheel it alot and I never had any problems other than it rode rough as shit.

I upgraded to fox coilovers and I will NEVER run spacers in anything ever again.