Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

tried and true lift???

Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
tried and true lift???

I have an 09 dlb cab off road taco. I am interested in getting a lift. The problem is that I don’t know a damn thing about it. I have searched and read a lot of different things about them but it seems like there is just so much to know.
I am interested in the Pro Comp stage 1 6" lift. But I don’t know if it’s really what I need. From what I read it sounds like it might be. However I am not opposed to the stage 2. I don’t really plan on doing any off roading but that doesn’t mean that it won’t change.. I like the look of a lifed truck but still would like a great set up. I dont really want to half ass it.
I just would like to get a tried and true life so I don’t continue to have issues...
Then after this gets worked out I will need to consider wheel and tires. I will be living in Colorado by the time I get this done so it will have to be something that accommodates that great state.

One more thing, why do most people seem to go with 3" lifts as opposed to 6 or higher. Is there a law about lift height?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One more thing, why do most people seem to go with 3" lifts as opposed to 6 or higher. Is there a law about lift height?
Guys on this site go with 3" lifts over 6" on this site for 2 main reasons well that was mine. The 3" lift is cheaper so you can get better shocks and springs without breaking the bank and the drop bracket lifts give you less ground clearance and most of the guys here take there truck off road and ground clearance is key. and really with a 6" lift 35's is about max for the tire size unless you do major modifications. I ideal lift on IFS in my eyes would be a 3" with modified fenders to except 35" tires.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
toddt is on a distinguished road

Name: todd
toddt's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the stage1 procomp 6" It rides nice, looks awesome. I very happy with it.

I used to have a 3" it wasn't enough for me. Most of the more "serious" offroad guys use coilover 3" kits due to articulation and ground clearance. Im just into looks and occasional offroad.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
This is why I went with a 3" lift. 14 1/2 inches of ground clearance from skid plate to the ground.

I like to look of 6" lifts but me personally would never do a drop bracket lift. If I were to lift my truck any higher Solid axle swap would be the route I would go
Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddt View Post
I went with the stage1 procomp 6" It rides nice, looks awesome. I very happy with it.

I used to have a 3" it wasn't enough for me. Most of the more "serious" offroad guys use coilover 3" kits due to articulation and ground clearance. Im just into looks and occasional offroad.
Is this the kit you had installed? http://4wheelonline.com/Products.asp...oductId=242044
Do you do it or have a shop install it. If so, what did they charge to install. Being that I have the off road do I need the new shocks?

Also what about the groung clearance?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
This is why I went with a 3" lift. 14 1/2 inches of ground clearance from skid plate to the ground.

I like to look of 6" lifts but me personally would never do a drop bracket lift. If I were to lift my truck any higher Solid axle swap would be the route I would go
WOW thats a cool loking truck, do you have any side shots?
What is a drop bracket lift.. Sorry I dont know much about lifting?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxed View Post
A "Drop Bracket" lift, is one that replaces the front crossmember with one that is lower 4.5 to 6".
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks Checkout my build just click the picture below. A drop bracket lift is a lift that drops your front cross-member down. anything 4.5" or above is a drop bracket lift.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
You have higher then stock ground clearance when you have stock tires on with the DB lift? This is news to me. We measured a DB lift at the last URE meet and he clearly had less ground clearance then stock.
To add:
The only thing that gives a drop bracket lift its clearance, is the larger tires that people install on them. Given that most run larger tires (35" or so), and dont regear, it puts much more stress on the drive train, and the moment loding of the drop bracket lift can be bad if hitting a large impact off roading.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat241 View Post
those cam tabs look like there right in the way of getting smashed compared to the other taco
Yep. It puts the alignment cams right in the way of getting fucked up.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
That's what I thought, but I'm still learning. The only guy who didn't wheel at URE meet had a the largest lift (DB) and the least clearance.

I also like the way a 3" lift can be armored easily. Looks like armoring a DB lift could be very interesting.

And another thing most dont think about is center of gravity. Jacking the truck 6" up raises your CG, and you run the risk of flopping over (if you wheel it) more so than a truck with a 2.5" to 3" lift would. I see more folks with 2 to 3" lifts go way further than the 6" lifted trucks.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing like getting my head to spin..I am going kookoo for taco lifts...I would just like a lift that wont give me a pain in the ass. I wont be doing any major off roading. I just like the look of a hight lifted truck. But I dont want to put a bigger strain on my truck then need be.
thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Nothing like getting my head to spin..I am going kookoo for taco lifts...I would just like a lift that wont give me a pain in the ass. I wont be doing any major off roading. I just like the look of a hight lifted truck. But I dont want to put a bigger strain on my truck then need be.
thanks
I guess it all depends on how you want it to look then. If you want all out height, Then consider a 6" lift. If you want more performance, look at the 3" lifts out there. FWIW, A high quality 2 to 3" lift isnt going to be that much less expensive than a 6" lift....if at all. However, you can get by with running a 32 to 33" tire, and not regear.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I guess it all depends on how you want it to look then. If you want all out height, Then consider a 6" lift. If you want more performance, look at the 3" lifts out there. FWIW, A high quality 2 to 3" lift isnt going to be that much less expensive than a 6" lift....if at all. However, you can get by with running a 32 to 33" tire, and not regear.
Ya Iam still trying to figue it all out. I just dont want to regret what I do. I only want to do this once..
I know some people had vibration issues and I dont want to go throught that. That is why I am looking for something that is tried and true with the truck I have. I guess it dosent have to be 6inch I just thought it might be a better way to go considering I will probably never do serios off roading. I figured It would cost around 2k or so which is fine just no regrets..
Old 01-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya Iam still trying to figue it all out. I just dont want to regret what I do. I only want to do this once..
I know some people had vibration issues and I dont want to go throught that. That is why I am looking for something that is tried and true with the truck I have. I guess it dosent have to be 6inch I just thought it might be a better way to go considering I will probably never do serios off roading. I figured It would cost around 2k or so which is fine just no regrets..

vibration issues is are all over the place some guys have none and others with the same setup have vibration issues. When changing the suspension in any way you risk running into these issues. There is really no tried & true lift that will guarantee no vibs so if you really want to lift the truck you will have to just take the chance.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #18
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
vibration issues is are all over the place some guys have none and others with the same setup have vibration issues. When changing the suspension in any way you risk running into these issues. There is really no tried & true lift that will guarantee no vibs so if you really want to lift the truck you will have to just take the chance.
I thought that might be the case.. I will take my chances. For now I'll talk with some local shops around here in Michigan, but Ill wait till I get to Colorado to have the actual work done. I have time to research.

Thanks again
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #19
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Have you thaught about the 4" RCD kit? alot guys like it....

And you can get coilovers, and adjust your coilovers up to give you more lift and ground clearance.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I know its a DB, but he doesnt do offroading. So its basically just for looks. I personally dont like aDB lift just bc it requires cutting of the cross member.