Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alignment with bilstein 5100s

Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
98Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: adam
98Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment with bilstein 5100s

i installed my bilsteins about 2 weeks ago and i took it to school today to align it. im able to get the toe in spec. but i can really get the camber or caster to change any. it seems like the ecentrics dosent seem to push the control arm any. has anyone else had any body had problems alignment with only 2.5 of lift. getting new tires dont want to wear unevenly.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
You probably need aftermarket UCA's. Most people need them at 3", and it's really hit or miss at 2.5".
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

i may have to i really hope i dont tho cause i need the tires but if without ucas to correct the camber tires may be a waste of money
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
sanga700 will become famous soon enoughsanga700 will become famous soon enough
sanga700's Tacoma Gallery
well, I Have 2.5" lift on my 09 Taco and no need aftermarket UCA . No vibration at all . Tires are wearing out even and truck is running straight .
Old 01-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well, I Have 2.5" lift on my 09 Taco and no need aftermarket UCA . No vibration at all . Tires are wearing out even and truck is running straight .
It's really hit miss at 2.5" some need uca's some don't.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

well guys i took it back to school today and got everything straight camber is back at factory spec and toes is also. now i can get the new duratracs
Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.
TacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
TacoBow's Tacoma Gallery
After visiting the alignment shop, my camber adjustment was on the edge of green (in spec) with just a 2" lift.

The caster ended up being close, but no cigar. Dialing back in the caster changed my camber settings to outside spec, so I opted for as close to a zero camber setting in exchange for a closer to spec caster setting.

The toe setting was not an issue, which is a given since it's a tie rod only twist setting.

My truck drives well with no dive or pull, no road crown issue and no wandering. Having close to a negative caster made the steering a bit lighter than what I'm used to.

What did you do to gain on your camber / caster settings? I've been told that using a basic ratchet strap to eek out all the slotted mounts will allow before locking down the LCA camber bolts has been done to gain a touch more caster and camber, but I didn't suggest it to the tech since I was already so close to spec.

I'm interested in what worked for you, seeing that your lift / leveling install is .5 higher than mine. I'd like to get a wee bit more caster without installing aftermarket UCA's...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting stuff. ^

I'm wondering what Toyota will be able to do with mine in the morning. I'm installing the 5100s at 1.75" (with a 1/4" top plate spacer on driver's side) today and getting an alignment done in the morning at the dealership. I'll try to remember to get my before/after numbers for comparison's sake.

After only switching from stock tires to 265/70/16 size I got a bit of wandering (tracking?) during highway driving. I'm very hopefull I can get within spec with just this slight amount of lift.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
sanga700 will become famous soon enoughsanga700 will become famous soon enough
sanga700's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBow View Post
After visiting the alignment shop, my camber adjustment was on the edge of green (in spec) with just a 2" lift.

The caster ended up being close, but no cigar. Dialing back in the caster changed my camber settings to outside spec, so I opted for as close to a zero camber setting in exchange for a closer to spec caster setting.

The toe setting was not an issue, which is a given since it's a tie rod only twist setting.

My truck drives well with no dive or pull, no road crown issue and no wandering. Having close to a negative caster made the steering a bit lighter than what I'm used to.

What did you do to gain on your camber / caster settings? I've been told that using a basic ratchet strap to eek out all the slotted mounts will allow before locking down the LCA camber bolts has been done to gain a touch more caster and camber, but I didn't suggest it to the tech since I was already so close to spec.

I'm interested in what worked for you, seeing that your lift / leveling install is .5 higher than mine. I'd like to get a wee bit more caster without installing aftermarket UCA's...
If your steerling wheel is a bit lighter then u will have wandering when hit 70 or 75 MPH . Tell ur tech to adjust the caster must be 2.0 and up . toe 0.05 . Not sure about camber maybe 1.0 ( I have to look on my aligment paper ) .
Hope that help.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #10
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Here are my number from yesterday.

I installed the 5100s on Friday at 1.75".

Front Left-------------------------------- Front Right
Actual___Before -------------------------- Actual___- Before
0.6° ----- 1.1° ---------Camber------------ 0.4°------- 0.6°
1.9°------ .03° ----------Caster ------------1.4° -------1.1°
0.05°---- 0.20°-----------
Toe-------------- 0.02°------ 0.19°
11.3°---- 10.7°---------- SAI-------------- 11.2°------ 11.1°
11.9°---- 11.8°----- Included Angle------ 11.5°------ 11.6°

-------------------------------Front
--------------------Actual--------- Before
Cross Camber-------0.2
°------------- 0.5°
Cross Caster-------- 0.5°------------ -0.7°
Total Toe -----------0.07°------------ 0.38°
Old 01-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post
Here are my number from yesterday.

I installed the 5100s on Friday at 1.75".

Front Left-------------------------------- Front Right
Actual___Before -------------------------- Actual___- Before
0.6° ----- 1.1° ---------Camber------------ 0.4°------- 0.6°
1.9°------ .03° ----------Caster ------------1.4° -------1.1°
0.05°---- 0.20°-----------Toe-------------- 0.02°------ 0.19°
11.3°---- 10.7°---------- SAI-------------- 11.2°------ 11.1°
11.9°---- 11.8°----- Included Angle------ 11.5°------ 11.6°

-------------------------------Front
--------------------Actual--------- Before
Cross Camber-------0.2
°------------- 0.5°
Cross Caster-------- 0.5°------------ -0.7°