Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Pre lift jitters... UCAs recommended?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
SadManGrin is on a distinguished road

SadManGrin's Tacoma Gallery
Pre lift jitters... UCAs recommended?

So I finally ordered the bilstein/eibach set up.

I also ordered spacers for the drivers side lean; 1/2" for the drivers, 1/4" for the passenger.

With billies set at .85, this setup should yield me ~3" of lift with no lean.

The question is... do I want to swap out UCAs while I'm already in there?

I searched, and thread after thread, I get the same answer "It's hit or miss".
Some people need em, some don't.

I was originally going to go w/o UCAs, but I don't want a twitchy ride, or mangle a good set of tires with a bad alignment.

I also want to do my truck right the first time while I'm in there.

I also want to be on the road as fast as possible, and saving up for UCAs will just take that much longer.

Should I do the install w/o UCA's, and then order them after I find out? Two installs, two alignments.

or

Should I just save up for UCA's and get it done the first time around. One install, one alignment.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
The 1/4" spacer for the drvs side lifts 1/2" to fix the lean. There is no reason for one on the passenger side. If you are lifting 2" or more, then your caster will be out to get camber correct. If you try to fix camber caster will be out. You cannot have both correct without UCAs when lift is over 2". The LR UCAs have plenty of camber and caster adjustment on top of the factory adjustability to get both correct. You can lift for now but leave caster out of adj until you get UCAs. You will have to deal with twitchy but it won't eat the tires, toe & camber being out does that. Just pay for a 1 yr alignment and do UCAs later, the alignment will be free. I also suggest an alignment like this so you can go back after a few months and have them do it to keep it aligned, especially if doing much offroading.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

The alignments down the road is very good advice.

Guess I'll be saving up again.
Thank you for the quick reply.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly since your doing a 3" lift, I would save up and get aftermarket UCA's. You said you wanted it done the first time so hold off.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Honestly since your doing a 3" lift, I would save up and get aftermarket UCA's. You said you wanted it done the first time so hold off.
x2

Check out Light Racing UCAs...their fully adjustable, durable and reasonably priced. I've been running mine for about a year now and have no complaints. Toytec says their the most adjustable UCA available.

Here's a link...
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Their still a Ball Joint Application but if your not a hardcore wheeler these will do just fine
Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
The 1/4" spacer for the drvs side lifts 1/2" to fix the lean. There is no reason for one on the passenger side. If you are lifting 2" or more, then your caster will be out to get camber correct. If you try to fix camber caster will be out. You cannot have both correct without UCAs when lift is over 2". The LR UCAs have plenty of camber and caster adjustment on top of the factory adjustability to get both correct. You can lift for now but leave caster out of adj until you get UCAs. You will have to deal with twitchy but it won't eat the tires, toe & camber being out does that. Just pay for a 1 yr alignment and do UCAs later, the alignment will be free. I also suggest an alignment like this so you can go back after a few months and have them do it to keep it aligned, especially if doing much offroading.
In complete agreement. Brands you may want to research: Camburg, King, Icon, or Total Chaos. I personally have a 2.5'' lift with Icon coil overs, and Camburg UCA's. The steering is nice and tight, and (if your the desert running type) responds great in the sand. I opted to keep my sway bar, however the choice to do other wise is up to you. Good luck
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #7

Thanks all.

I just called Fat Bob's Garage.

Light Racing UCA's for $393.16 shipped from UT to CA.

Time to eBay to some belongings...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadManGrin View Post
Thanks all.

I just called Fat Bob's Garage.

Light Racing UCA's for $393.16 shipped from UT to CA.

Time to eBay to some belongings...

Thats actually where I bought mine haha! Good luck dude!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure where I got mine offhand but did go with LR UCAs. Thinkin I paid 445 about a year ago. No issues with them at all.