Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100s ride quality better or worse than stock?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
RRDave is on a distinguished road
RRDave's Tacoma Gallery
5100s ride quality better or worse than stock?

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing alot of searching on this forum with regards to installing 5100s with the stock springs in the front and an AAL in the rear. I've been getting some contradictory results with regards to the ride quality. I guess I should note that I'm considering the fronts to be at either 1.75" or 2.5" and the rear an 1.5" AAL. Comments/Experience? Could you please comment on the rear AAL with and without 5100s.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty hard, like comparing apples to oranges unless the shocks and suspension parts you are changing out are new. I put 5100's all around, front set at 1.75 and rear springs redone to give about the same lift(very slight rake). I would say that the ride improved but the old shocks were badly worn and there was a broken leaf in the back.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The ride will be stiffer with the 5100's preloading the springs.

It will also be stiffer in the rear with an AAL.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Tebow Apologist
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind the Off Road springs are progressive and will likely be stiffer than the Sport springs. I just say that as people will give opinions with both and that is not comparing the same thing.

Also the length of your AAL will effect your ride. I have found several different ones on different sites and they all dont post the length. I called on a few. One is as short as 21 inches and another as long as 36 inches. Wheelers I think was 24.5. Get a longer one if you want a smoother ride.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
SR5 w/ 5100's at 2.5. Rides great...just slightly firmer than stock. Not bouncy at all. IMO the stock ride was too "floaty". If I wanted floaty I would have bought an old folks car (buick, cadi, etc)

I also have the toytec 2" AAL in the rear. I like it much better, There are some railroad tracks I used to bottom out on by my house, I dont bottom out anymore with the AAL and it actually takes them quite nicely now. Not as much bounce as I had stock.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
remember the higher u set those 5100s the rougher ride you will get.
I think you will also loose down travel too.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
I was kindof wondering the same thing. I've heard if you plan on putting the fronts at 2.5" then you will want to put new coils on them. Then i also have heard people dont like the OME coils with the Bilsteins.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
yea the best way to lift is to put at the 0 setting with new toytec brand coils so you actually get a suspension lift not the appearance of a lift with less suspension travel and a crappy ride.

im not bashing just passing on some info. my brother is trying to lift his truck and this is the info i am figuring out.

I hope someone with more suspension knowledge can chime in, i could be wrong about this whole thing.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
your ride quality will not change significantly from oem if you keep your front stock springs. I believe some 2nd gen tacomas came with trd bilsteins. if you add a rear AAL, your ride quality will go down because of the added stiffness. the billies might help offset the stiffness but not by much because there is less range of motion to dampen due to the AAL.

if you install 5100's all around with no lift, you will feel a difference.