Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME What's the real number?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Valley Viking is on a distinguished road

Valley Viking's Tacoma Gallery
OME What's the real number?

I am looking to get an OME lift for a 05 DCLB 4x4 and have been reading about lifts on here for about a month now. I am a 80% Hwy and 20% logging road / fire trail kinda guy. I would like to add about 2.5" in the front and more or less the same in the back. I don't care if the truck has a little less rake than stock but don't want more than stock and definately don't want the Bro look. Pretty sure I have settled on 885's for the front w/ trim packer, Dakar leafs on the back, OME shocks all around and will go ahead with the LR UCA's. I have gained a ton of info from what I have read but there are couple of things that you never quite get a clear answer on. How much lift will I get front and back from the OME lift without any added spacers and are extended brake lines required? Everyone seems to have a different answer, OME calls it a 2" lift, wheelers says the front coils will give 1.75", Chris4X4 says 3", Toytec says to add a spacer to get 3", and no one really says what the Dakars will give. Please help me out so I can pull the trigger and get the kit coming.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
chris4x4 is hardly ever wrong..just when cooking. you'll get 3in. and extended brake lines aren't required, but suggested.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
first off welcome to tw. It sounds to me like that set up will net you around 2.5 all around, but I know more about first gen ome suspension stuff than second gen stuff. I would say chris4x4 knows his stuff though
Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #5

Bump
Old 01-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #6

Is there a difference in the height you will get out of the same OME kit mounted say on a DCLB vs. a DCSB.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
maybe 1/4in
Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #8

OK I went ahead with the OME lift so now I guess I can answer some of my own questions. Hopefully that will help someone else who may have the same concerns.

First let me say that how much lift you get depends on where you start from. My truck is an 05 4x4 with 120,000 miles on it and I don't know if the original front and rear springs have sagged from their original ride height or not. Maybe if you are lifting a brand new truck that has not had any sag at all your before measurements would start out as higher than mine did with my well worn stock springs. My truck is also a DC LB SR5, not a TRD, so my original ride height may vary from a TRD. That being said if you install the OME complete lift like I did your final lift numbers should be pretty damn close to mine as we would both have the same suspension after the lift is installed.

After a bunch of hand wringing I choose the OME complete lift and added the 10mm lift enhancer spacers (about 5/16" thick, should give 5/8" to 3/4" +/- of lift) from Wheelers. I was hoping to level the truck somewhat front to back. My before measurements center of hub to bottom of wheel arch were 20-1/4" in the front and 22" in the back. A difference of 1-3/4" higher in back. With the lift installed I am now 23-3/4" in the front and 24-3/4" in the back, a difference of 1" front to back. The roads have been icy and I do have about 150 LBS of sand back in the back of the truck with these "after" numbers, I did not have the sand bags on the before numbers. The Dakar springs are stiff enough that I don't think the sand bags are causing any sag.

So I gained about 3-1/2" in the front (with the 10mm spacers) and 2-3/4" in the back from my "before" measurements with a 120,000 miles on the stock springs. I think if I had eliminated the 10mm spacer I would have gained 2-3/4" front and back and the truck would have maintained the stock rake front to back. In my opinion you should assume you will have roughly the same "after" measurements +/- as I have and should measure your actual "before" height to determine what amount of lift you will gain. Keep in mind I just installed the lift (80 miles ago) and the springs have not had a chance to settled as everyone seems to think they will. I have no idea how much settlement, if any, there will be.

I am very happy with the ride. It is definately firmer and more truck like but very well dampened and not harsh at all. I have been on a couple of washboard roads since the lift and the supension soaked those up much better than the stock suspension did. I also think my load carrying capacity will be much improved though I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

The look is great with the front more level than before thanks to the 10mm spacers. I am a little nervous about my CV angles though and if there are any problems I would consider removing the spacers to drop the front a bit and go back to a more stock rake front to back.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #10

I was editing my mistakes, they are there now.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #12

What were your final measurements?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #13
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
Nice little write up about your OME lift numbers. I guess you and I are in the same boat after all. I've been researching myself and always come to a dead end. I have a 05 Tacoma DC LB also, but equipped with TRD package and have always wanted to know the real numbers behind the OME lift. I ordered myself the OME heavy duty lift kit just the other day. Hopefully all goes well.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #14
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up , thanks for the info Viking . My OME lift with the 885's and Dakars is sitting on my shop floor waiting to go in .
Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #15

885's are what I have with the standard Dakar's in the back. I will see if I can get a picture up tonight.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #17
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
ill get all the measurements later today after my winch and bumpers are installed.
heck with measurements
pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #18

Got a few pics with my phone right before dark. Now I need wheels and tires.
Attached Thumbnails
OME What's the real number?-2011-02-21_17-56-05_602.jpg   OME What's the real number?-2011-02-21_17-59-06_30.jpg   OME What's the real number?-2011-02-21_17-59-22_925.jpg  
Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Viking View Post
Got a few pics with my phone right before dark. Now I need wheels and tires.
Looks leveled to me. Wheels+tires and you're set. Any driveline vibes?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #20

I do think there is a bit more hum to the drive train now than before. Might be all in my head. I've been running around with the radio down straining to hear something. I guess if I can't say for sure it can't be that bad. I did install the CB drop but not the Diff drop.