1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long to drive with misaligned wheels.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by avengedkevinfold, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    avengedkevinfold

avengedkevinfold [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Socal - OC - Huntington Beach
    bilstien 5100s all the way around, ICON progressive 3 leaf kit, Illegal tint, snuglid SL, seatbelt chime mod. light racing UCAs
    2011 tacoma 2wd. I'll be installing 5100s all the way around and ICON Progressive 3 leaf pack.

I will also be buying new wheels and tires.

How long can I drive between when I lift the truck and when I install the new tires/rims and get it aligned. I'll be doing them on separate days. Might be about a week apart though...

2. Jan 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    SO many variables here. Time doesn't really matter. Depends on what setting you put the 5100's and how many miles you're driving.

Your tires are the only thing you have to worry about. If you're driving around on the stockers until you get aligned, and you don't care about those tires, then it doesn't really matter how much you drive on them like that.

3. Jan 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    As long as the truck handles safely, this is mainly about chewing up your tires.

4. Jan 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Oh yes you do if you change sizes. And it's a bitch to get it right too, since factory settings are no longer applicable.

5. Jan 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    I havent gotten one, now my tires are going bald!

6. Jan 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    depends on how long you want the tires to last

7. Jan 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I say your good.

8. Jan 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Possibly. If you move to another tire size that the manufacturer offers as a factory option, then the mfg specs will work out for you.

The problem is when you go larger or smaller, and mainly has to do with suspension deformation at speed, and deformation of the tire when turning. A larger tire (and more aggressive tread) tends to toe out more and camber up less when driving at freeway speeds. Therefore, mfg specs may result in abnormal wear.

Essentially, the only way to deal with this is to dial it in over about 6 months. You need an alignment guy that knows his shit, or doesn't mind taking orders from you. It also requires sacrificing a little tire tread (very little). Basically, you go to 0/0/whatever caster feels right for you, put about 500 to 1000 miles on the truck, then read the tread. Based on wear, adjust your alignment. Repeat until you're getting even wear and the vehicle drives well. Then save those alignment numbers for as long as you run that setup on the vehicle.

My truck seems to have found the sweet spot at .02 toe, .4 camber, and caster in the high 2s...say 2.8 to 3. But that's my setup. Different spring rates, tire widths, and driving demands will alter things. And again, this only applicable when drifting outside manufacturer offered tire sizes.

Products Discussed in

To Top