Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How long to drive with misaligned wheels.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
avengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Kevin
avengedkevinfold's Tacoma Gallery
How long to drive with misaligned wheels.

2011 tacoma 2wd. I'll be installing 5100s all the way around and ICON Progressive 3 leaf pack.

I will also be buying new wheels and tires.

How long can I drive between when I lift the truck and when I install the new tires/rims and get it aligned. I'll be doing them on separate days. Might be about a week apart though...
Old 01-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
SO many variables here. Time doesn't really matter. Depends on what setting you put the 5100's and how many miles you're driving.

Your tires are the only thing you have to worry about. If you're driving around on the stockers until you get aligned, and you don't care about those tires, then it doesn't really matter how much you drive on them like that.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
As long as the truck handles safely, this is mainly about chewing up your tires.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Personally I'd go 0 miles if I could. You can always get the truck aligned after the lift with the stock tires. You don't need to get it aligned every time you put on a new set of tires.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Personally I'd go 0 miles if I could. You can always get the truck aligned after the lift with the stock tires. You don't need to get it aligned every time you put on a new set of tires.
Oh yes you do if you change sizes. And it's a bitch to get it right too, since factory settings are no longer applicable.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Oh yes you do if you change sizes. And it's a bitch to get it right too, since factory settings are no longer applicable.
I never had a problem with my other truck. I had it aligned with 29s and went up to 31s and the alignment was still good. Maybe it was just within spec?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
I havent gotten one, now my tires are going bald!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
depends on how long you want the tires to last
Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I never had a problem with my other truck. I had it aligned with 29s and went up to 31s and the alignment was still good. Maybe it was just within spec?
Possibly. If you move to another tire size that the manufacturer offers as a factory option, then the mfg specs will work out for you.

The problem is when you go larger or smaller, and mainly has to do with suspension deformation at speed, and deformation of the tire when turning. A larger tire (and more aggressive tread) tends to toe out more and camber up less when driving at freeway speeds. Therefore, mfg specs may result in abnormal wear.

Essentially, the only way to deal with this is to dial it in over about 6 months. You need an alignment guy that knows his shit, or doesn't mind taking orders from you. It also requires sacrificing a little tire tread (very little). Basically, you go to 0/0/whatever caster feels right for you, put about 500 to 1000 miles on the truck, then read the tread. Based on wear, adjust your alignment. Repeat until you're getting even wear and the vehicle drives well. Then save those alignment numbers for as long as you run that setup on the vehicle.

My truck seems to have found the sweet spot at .02 toe, .4 camber, and caster in the high 2s...say 2.8 to 3. But that's my setup. Different spring rates, tire widths, and driving demands will alter things. And again, this only applicable when drifting outside manufacturer offered tire sizes.