Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rough ride on dirt road

Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
dante087708 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dante
dante087708's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Rough ride on dirt road

I bought my 06 taco about 8 months ago & just recently took it off road when I went down to the deer lease.I noticed that the ride was pretty rough & shaky.I also notice when I go over a speed bump it is pretty rough.Someone told me it probably has an add-a-leaf.How can I tell?
Any Suggestions?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
The stock should have 3 leafs if it has more you might have the TSB pack.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante087708 View Post
I bought my 06 taco about 8 months ago & just recently took it off road when I went down to the deer lease.I noticed that the ride was pretty rough & shaky.I also notice when I go over a speed bump it is pretty rough.Someone told me it probably has an add-a-leaf.How can I tell?
Any Suggestions?
Does your truck have a lift kit on it? Or is it just stock? As far as it being rough, what are you comparing it to?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Um...Name one vehicle that rides smooth on a dirt road?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Um...Name one vehicle that rides smooth on a dirt road?
never heard of long travel?
any truck in this thread will be smooth offroad
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...a-gallery.html

I had a single AAL before and it rode terrible. I swapped it out for wheelers off road 3 leaf pack and it was sooo much smoother.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Check your tire pressure. People always overinflate their tires.

Shoot for 30-35 psi. Ignore what the PSI printed on the tire reads, not important.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Check your tire pressure. People always overinflate their tires.

Shoot for 30-35 psi. Ignore what the PSI printed on the tire reads, not important.
Good point..mine are right around 35psi

Check what the tire pressure says in your door sill.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
2005 and newer access cabs and double cabs had too soft springs used and with rear seat passengers or a load in back, my 2005 would 'bottom-out' in back.

I did not know about a TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) that allowed for Toyota to replace or beef up your rear springs (for free)... My dealer didn't tell me, and I wasn't on TW then.

I had Ride Rite Air Bags (Air Springs) installed and they were perfect... no more bottoming out and the ride was adjustable with air pressure. I also changed the stock yellow Bisteins for the next model better: 5100s.

So, is your ride just rough... or are you also bottoming out on your bump stops?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Does your truck have a lift kit on it? Or is it just stock? As far as it being rough, what are you comparing it to?

I'm not sure what original ride height is on these trucks.I'm comparing it to a co-workers GMC 1500, lot smoother ride.Mine kinda slides & just rough on dirt road.Maybe I need better shocks?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #10

@ David K
It doesn't appear that the bump stops are hitting & it does only have 3 leaf springs.Seems like it kinda wants to slide on the gravel road.What are the air springs & whats the purpose?I will try the lower tire pressure,seems like it has worked really well for you.Nice Taco by the way!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
@ David K
It doesn't appear that the bump stops are hitting & it does only have 3 leaf springs.Seems like it kinda wants to slide on the gravel road.What are the air springs & whats the purpose?I will try the lower tire pressure,seems like it has worked really well for you.Nice Taco by the way!

Drifting FTW try slowing down man it's a truck it's going to want to drift if you hit a turn fast with an empty bed.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
@ David K
Air springs are usually called 'air bags' and they go where the bump stops were to supplement what the leaf springs do...

Basically an inexpensive cure and you can adjust how much air (10-100 psi) to put in them for the degree of firmness you need. Stops the bottoming out from heavy loads when your stock springs are too soft. The brand is Ride Rite, made by Firestone. Shraeder valves (tire valves) are installed in the back bumper for each air bag... You just add or remove air their to change the firmness and ride height. Fancier set ups have an air compressor on board and you can adjustm, on-the-fly.

Here is the left one... on my '05:

Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Drifting FTW try slowing down man it's a truck it's going to want to drift if you hit a turn fast with an empty bed.

It will try to drift @ 25-30 mph going straight
Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It will try to drift @ 25-30 mph going straight

So are your tires bouncing down the road?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
So are your tires bouncing down the road?
Yes.. Seems like a bouncy ride.. I'll look into the air shock. ?? hopefully??
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Could try this...

Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
Could try this...

What is this? Explain please.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Well im not sure what your plans are for the truck but more than likely it is pretty impractical for you. It is Allpro's 3" leap pack with a set of billie 5150 piggie-backs. We just got back from the desert and aired down a little, we were doing about 60 on washboard and felt next to nothing. In all honesty, if you air down, you will notice a big difference. But with these trucks, you are going to get a rough ride on dirt with stock suspension, thats just how it is.