Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100s (4) set at 1.75 with rear TSB on stock rims and tires

Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Talking UPDATE: 5100s (4) set at 1.75 with rear TSB on stock rims and tires

I received several questions about the rear TSB with 5100s all the way around that I had completed yesterday.

Couldn't find a way to attach pics in the private message, so here's a few shots for anyone that is looking to run this set up with stock tires and rims.

Not the best pics with the snow and all, but you get the idea.

I've got some TRDs for the summer and plan to run 265/75/16 on those.

Don't flame me if an identical thread is out there. Based on the number of questions I would think not.

5100s (4) set at 1.75 with rear TSB on stock rims and tires-dscf1137.jpg

5100s (4) set at 1.75 with rear TSB on stock rims and tires-dscf1139.jpg

5100s (4) set at 1.75 with rear TSB on stock rims and tires-dscf1143.jpg

5100s (4) set at 1.75 with rear TSB on stock rims and tires-dscf1145.jpg
Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
SmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
SmoothFox's Tacoma Gallery
You won't get any hate from me. I am trying to figure all this lift stuff out. So many threads on lifts it makes my head hurt. Yes I am guilty of starting one! Pics are small on iPhone I will check them out later tonight. Adding the 5100's means you have to get realgined right? Does it sit level?
Thanks for the input!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you will have to be realigned ( well I did but I did bigger tires when I just had the 5100's) I had mine a 1.75 with the TSB AAL and I sat level. Its different for other people though. OP there are tons of other 5100 threads but no biggie your just trying to help peeps out.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
John, it has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch rake as it sits now. A little more on the left side with the Taco lean. Yes, you'll need an alignment after install.

Since it was just done, I really hope I don't get too much settling in the rear. I have also heard the 5100s (in the front) settle a bit as well over time, so we'll see where it ends up.

Worse case scenario I get an AAL for the rear.

Good luck with your decision. This combo works out well for me because I didn't want to get into changing out suspension components.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
When I just had the 5100's my rear settled more than the front did but it settled into level. I doubt you will need another AAL with them set at 1.75 if anything you may have to change the fronts to 2.5 to meet the back. Another AAL will put your ass end up too high I have the TSB and the Toytec on my 3 inch lift.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #6

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
When I just had the 5100's my rear settled more than the front did but it settled into level. I doubt you will need another AAL with them set at 1.75 if anything you may have to change the fronts to 2.5 to meet the back. Another AAL will put your ass end up too high I have the TSB and the Toytec on my 3 inch lift.
Thanks for that info, Devin.

I can stand a little rake, just don't want to be nose high.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #7

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
At 1.75 you should not be nose high at all. I had mine like that for over 1 year and it stayed just a bit higher(still looked about level) in the rear but not enough to make me want to raise them to 2.5.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Range 44 has a spectacular aura aboutRange 44 has a spectacular aura about

Range 44's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man, Sell me your running boards please!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #9

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range 44 View Post
Looks good man, Sell me your running boards please!
OEMs. You can pick up a set for around 300 bucks at any of the Toyota parts stores on the internet.

Great door protectors, too
Old 01-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Rhody76 will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
Rhody76's Tacoma Gallery
Bryon,
Did you have the 5100's installed at the dealer when you had the rear leaf TSB done? Also what else did you need to do other than the alignment? Any issues when driving at highway speed?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #11

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody76 View Post
Bryon,
Did you have the 5100's installed at the dealer when you had the rear leaf TSB done? Also what else did you need to do other than the alignment? Any issues when driving at highway speed?
Chris, I had the TSB done the day before.

I know some guys talked about doing the 5100s and then getting the alignment at no cost when the TSB was performed, but I had it scheduled that way and just went with it.

Nothing else except the alignment, and I can't give a full review until I get her on the highway at regular speeds. We had some significant snow yesterday and when I hopped on the highway everyone was doing 35

The ride is firmer and more like a truck. I'll give an update after I get her out over the weekend.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
SmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
SmoothFox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryWi View Post
John, it has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch rake as it sits now. A little more on the left side with the Taco lean. Yes, you'll need an alignment after install.

Since it was just done, I really hope I don't get too much settling in the rear. I have also heard the 5100s (in the front) settle a bit as well over time, so we'll see where it ends up.

Worse case scenario I get an AAL for the rear.

Good luck with your decision. This combo works out well for me because I didn't want to get into changing out suspension components.
Thanks for your input. I am going to do the 5100 on all four corners and the TSB. This will give me a little bit of lift and not mess up my driveline, CV axles, ball joints etc. Will set them at 1.75 and call it done! Provided I do not get the Taco lean, but I think that is easily fixed with this. Do I need another alignment if I need to do the spacer fix? Oh yea, BTW nice truck!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #13

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothFox View Post
Thanks for your input. I am going to do the 5100 on all four corners and the TSB. This will give me a little bit of lift and not mess up my driveline, CV axles, ball joints etc. Will set them at 1.75 and call it done! Provided I do not get the Taco lean, but I think that is easily fixed with this. Do I need another alignment if I need to do the spacer fix? Oh yea, BTW nice truck!
Thanks, John, and you're welcome.

The reasons you mention are the EXACT reasons I went with the 1.75.

As for the spacer fix, I am not sure if another alignment is needed, but one of the guys on TW will have that answer. My "lean" isn't enough to worry about right now (>1/4), and I'll wait and see where the whole thing settles out.

Good luck with your lift...
Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
moulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nice
moulin6801's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting the photos! Can I ask you how much was the total cost $??
My truck has the same beautiful silver as yours!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
IB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura about
IB Slingin's Tacoma Gallery
Not the factory tires though....

Old 01-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #16

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Slingin View Post
Not the factory tires though....

Nice rig and looks good with the TA KOs. I also like those steps. Those would have been my next choice if I hadn't gone with OEMs.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #17

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
Thanks for posting the photos! Can I ask you how much was the total cost $??
My truck has the same beautiful silver as yours!
It was $282.00 for the four 5100s (DownSouthMotorsports) and $370.00 for the install and alignment.

I initially thought the price was a little high, but they explained that the strut set up in the front involved some time. The rears were simple.

I took it to a small tire/suspension shop to do the work because I am a small business owner and like to support the little guys

You will probably find a better price if you shop around.

Let us know how it works out...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #18

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Update on the TSB and 5100s install:

I am getting a slight drive line rumble/vibe on deceleration ONLY between 22-27 MPH. That's it. But it is so slight that I can't even tell you for sure it wasn't there before the 5100s. I only had 300 miles on the truck before I got it done, so I really didn't have a chance to pick up on all the traits of the truck in that short time.

The ride stiffened up a bit. It rides more like a truck now. I think most of the stiffening came from the TSB. The more I drive it now, the less stiff it seems. Maybe it's loosening up a bit or I am just getting used to it.

No alignment issues. Drives straight and true. No drifting or vibes at all at any other speeds.

There may be one potential problem as the TSB settles (IF it does). I am at about a 1/2" rake right now. If it does settle, I may have to lower the 5100s to 0.85 so I am not nose high.

I would recommend lifting this way. Far fewer problems with wear and replacement of components if you stay at 1.75 or less.