Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100...HELP!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
custer is on a distinguished road
custer's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Bilstein 5100...HELP!

Hello All!

I am thinking about throwing some 5100's on the front of my tacoma, however, I am not willing to make mods or change anything major on suspension. This truck is my daily driver when I am home and I really just want to keep it simple. I am looking for the safest, most reliable way to level the front-end without causing any "death-wobble"...great experience I had with my long-arm suspension on my jeep!

From what I have researched Bilstein 5100 may be the way to go. Any advice on this process would be great. Will I have to change anything else if I get 5100's, or can I just bolt them on, set/adjust and go??
Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
dmz1241 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
dmz1241's Tacoma Gallery
I have my billies set at 0 with eibach coils, but i still didnt have to change anything else. its a pretty simple set up. if you are going for a level look i think you will be happy with the 5100's
Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
There's a lot of threads on this.

Short answer..no, you won't have to mod anything, especially if you don't higher than 1.75" of lift. Even at 2.5" you probably won't have to do anything more than remove the old shocks, set your desired lift and reinstall. It's a remote possibility that 2.5" might make a factory spec alignment difficult. Some new UCA's would take care of that. Since you've got a 2010, you'll be able to reuse all of your stock bushings.

The only other thing that might require modification is your fender wells if you want to stuff some bigger tires in there after the lift.

You'll have to is get it realigned no matter what lift you set them to.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
There are a lot of threads on this topic. Go to "suspension" in the forum list and do a thread search in that forum for exactly what you may want to know.

That way you will get many different opinions on all the options when lifting your truck.

I had the rear TSB (4th leaf) done and set my 5100s at 1.75. My truck has a very slight rake. I changed nothing else with the suspension.

Here's a pic:

Bilstein 5100...HELP!-dscf1137.jpg

There are many more options out there for lifts. It depends what you are looking for. Good luck
Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz1241 View Post
I have my billies set at 0 with eibach coils, but i still didnt have to change anything else. its a pretty simple set up. if you are going for a level look i think you will be happy with the 5100's
Whats the difference between setting the billies at 0 vs .85 or 1.75? I might know but rather not guess.

thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
It is .85in of lift, 1.75in of lift, or 2.5in of lift