1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any reason to replace TRD shocks with standard Bilstein vs 5100s?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ezatnova, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jan 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    ezatnova

ezatnova [OP] Artax

Member:
    West Chester, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 DC TRD OR - Voodoo
    Wildpeak 265/75/16, Headstrong Progressive AAL, 5100's w Emu 885s
    Just got an 04 TRD with 133k miles and original shocks. I'm anticipating that they are shot (haven't gotten to really see yet), so I'm looking at possible options. The truck is not going to be some monster, but I'd rather replace them with what makes the most sense (mostly just bad weather usage and hauling stuff around once in a while, with very rare mild off road). Done hours of reading and searching and I'm not sure what to narrow down to.

Read a lot of good things about the 5100s, and from what I think I've seen, they are basicaly the same price as replacement standard TRD Bilsteins (maybe a bit more?). So, especially since the 5100s CAN be set at 0 lift, is there any reason to consider the stock parts than the 5100s?

Also, I know there are a ton of threads...and I think I've read to many and confused myself, but, help a noob out with what all I'd need to do this right. From what I understand, even with my 130k miles, I could just get front and rear 5100s. Set the fronts to the middle setting (1.75 lift?), and add a leaf in the rear, and be done. Should be under $500 I'd think... And should result in a very mild lift and safe, quality handling?

Products Discussed in

To Top