Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Making an anti-lean spacer for 5100's??

Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Making an anti-lean spacer for 5100's??

I was thinking about making a spacer for my driver's side 5100 to counter the Taco lean.

My idea was to turn (on a lathe) a piece of round stock into a 1/4" long sleeve that would slide over the strut body and sit on the C-ring that the lower coil stop rests on. Basically, the sleeve would have the same outside diameter as the outer edge of the C-ring.

I'm no mechanical engineer, so is there any reason why this would be a bad idea or would be prone to failure for any unforseen reason?

On another note, if you ask me, I think that 5100's should have twice as many C-ring grooves as they do, all at roughly 1/2" intervals so that you can mix and match the height settings asymmetrically on either side of the truck to counteract the lean if so desired. In other words, rather than just have .85", 1.75", and 2.5", they should have .85", 1.3", 1.75", 2.125", and 2.5" or whatever
Old 01-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
toytec makes a 1/4'' spacer for just that reason. it's only $20
Old 01-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered one of those to go with my 5100 installation in a few days.

Side note: where exactly do I install the 1/4" top plate spacer? I'm looking for a clear picture but I've come up empty so far. (I'm a suspension dummy)

I think it's a pretty simple piece of metal, so making one would be fine IMO. If you can beat the price of $20 plus $11 shipping I say why not.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post
I just ordered one of those to go with my 5100 installation in a few days.

Side note: where exactly do I install the 1/4" top plate spacer? I'm looking for a clear picture but I've come up empty so far. (I'm a suspension dummy)

I think it's a pretty simple piece of metal, so making one would be fine IMO. If you can beat the price of $20 plus $11 shipping I say why not.
It goes above the top plate on the shock assembly. It's the last thing you put on before the shocks go back on the truck.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
It goes above the top plate on the shock assembly. It's the last thing you put on before the shocks go back on the truck.
so no need to take apart the strut assembly? the lean on my truck is really starting to bother me! my friends constantly point it out and make fun
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
if reusing the stock coils with 5100s, should be no need for a spacer as the coils are side specific to correct the weight offset.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ahh, I see. I can picture that. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
so no need to take apart the strut assembly? the lean on my truck is really starting to bother me! my friends constantly point it out and make fun
Same here. My buddy always points it out and jabs me about it. No more though after this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
if reusing the stock coils with 5100s, should be no need for a spacer as the coils are side specific to correct the weight offset.
For real?! This is the first time I've heard this.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not true. I had lean before installing 5100s with stock springs. After the 5100s and a 1/4" spacer I am now level.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
Correct.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Correct.
cool thanks... you think i would i need an alignment afterwards?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, alignment would be needed. You may not change it much by just installing the spacer, but it will change it some.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, that was something that confused me -- how the stock coils are slightly different lengths. But nonetheless, I had/have a 1/2" lean before and after installing 5100's, so I want to level the lean with a spacer.

Sounds like the top plate spacer is easier than my homemade idea.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post

For real?! This is the first time I've heard this.
i have an '06 off road and the coil springs are color coded for left and right sides...had to be careful not to mix them up when i put 5100s on...i have no noticable lean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
Not true. I had lean before installing 5100s with stock springs. After the 5100s and a 1/4" spacer I am now level.
Sport springs & SR5/base not side specific, maybe?

i am 99% sure that mine are.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has a little lean on stock coils. I need to add a spacer to the driver's side.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #16

i had no lean with my stock coils. i got a lean after i installed OME 885's.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Quote:
i have an '06 off road and the coil springs are color coded for left and right sides...had to be careful not to mix them up when i put 5100s on...i have no noticable lean.

Sport springs & SR5/base not side specific, maybe?

i am 99% sure that mine are.
Good point. That may be the case.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #18

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Wheeler's offroad has "trim packers" that are the same thing for less than $8.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upometaco.htm
Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #19
Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.
eight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
eight3one_offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eight3one_offroad
I'm running OME 885s with OME N140S struts... Thankfully Chris4x4 saved me with his milled down 1/4 spacer. Thanks homieee!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #20
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wheeler's offroad has "trim packers" that are the same thing for less than $8.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upometaco.htm
Those are for OME shocks though. Does anyone know if these work on the bilsteins? Is the shock tube diameter the same?