Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Risks of "do it yourself" on upgrading your suspension

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
avengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Kevin
avengedkevinfold's Tacoma Gallery
Risks of "do it yourself" on upgrading your suspension

I know very little about cars but I'm considering installing my new bilstien 5100s all the way around the truck and a new ICON leaf pack.

I've got jack stands and jacks and all the tools needed to perform the install including the torque wrench.

In regards to removing the coil over using a spring compressor and putting in the 5100 back into the coilover.... I'll be taking the assembly to a shop to have done because I understand this can be a dangerous job.

I'll be using the following links for help.

Front Suspension Install

AAL Install

Suspension Diagram

Factory Torque Specs

After the install I'll be taking the truck to get aligned and get new tires and wheels.

With all of that being said, what are some of the risks involved in doing this myself? What are some of the common mistakes that could make this install go wrong or lead to suspension failures down the road?

Am I missing anything in regards to instructions and/or tools to get the job done right?

Is this a no brainer job or am I in over my head?

Any other advice?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like you have it all, just remember to take your time and double check everything when you re assemble it all. taking it all apart should be a breeze with any type of diagram and since your having the hardest parts done theres really no concern in just takin it all apart and putting it back together yourself, just double check! Good Luck
Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
You are already on the good path having given thought to the job as you have-hell in my younger days they sold frikkin coil spacers in the form of plastic slipins all the way to metal ones you can torque on with a wrench to achieve more height> Can you imagine what these did to a spring-changing the whole load bearing dynamics, putting extreme pressure on only one point of the coil etc.
Compare that to how you're handling yours and you'll see you're doing fine
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
I did my rear suspension yesterday. It took about 11 hours but one bolt took 2 and a half hours to get off. Make sure you have an impact wrench it makes everything way easier. I replaced my leafs and shocks and it wasn't hard just time consuming.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Yotas For Life!
06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
06RedComa's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you check all the bolts a couple times especially after a good shake down off roading, I hear the nuts on the u bolts tend to come loose and a leaf could shift
Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Changing out the coil over's isin't bad, just need to use good judgement and a good coil compressor and follow it's directions usually on the package. lots of do's and don't online to get that part safetly done.
The compressor I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...K70158E54HCCD0

Don't tear boths sides down together, do one side then the other, that way you have a example to go back to.

Products Discussed in this Thread