Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100 lift

Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
AZtacoma07 is on a distinguished road
AZtacoma07's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 lift

I know this has been hashed over and over but I have decided to get the 5100 shocks and put them on my 2007 Sport doublecab. I would rather do this myself than pay someone....so I clicked on the link and all the photos on the how to install are not available....I searched and googled for photo install help. Can anyone provide a link to where I could get install help/photos on the bilstein 5100 front and rear install? I am just worried about the spring compressor part...
Thanks everyone
Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The rear shocks are easy....IIRC, theres a thread on it on here. As for the fronts, you can always have someone compress the springs for ya, then just put them on the truck.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
I have put on and taken off 5100's many times now, so I've gotten to the point where I could do it blindfolded.

At first, I was really sweating the issue of compressing the coils, so the first time I put the 5100's on I had Midas compress the coils and switch over to the new set of struts for me -- they charged $50 to do it.

Last time I compressed the coils on my own to change the lift height setting .. I borrowed coil compressors from O'Reilly auto parts for free and was surprised at how easy it was and how well they worked. Just make sure you have a good bench vise and a wrench with a long handle, and lube the threads of the compressors. It was a piece of cake.

I'm not sure which threads to dig up, but I would suggest NOT doing the methods that involve undoing the LCA or tierods. All you need to undo are the UCA-to-spindle balljoint by tapping the spindle with a hammer, remove the sway bar, and take the struts out. Basically the goal is to do the bare minimum of linkage disassembly to get the struts to come out. It also helped to have the Chilton manual on hand, opened up to the suspension chapter.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Here's Chris' write up. Credit Chris4x4
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...g-removal.html
That's the one he is referring to the pics being gone.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That's the one he is referring to the pics being gone.
True, but he didn't say he clicked the links at the bottom.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Thanks fellas. I am thinking of taking the shocks into a shop or finding a place that rents the compressor free.

One more question...I have had the rear TSB AAL done a while back. Right now the rear sits exactly 2 inches higher than the front...If I add the 5100's up front at 2.5, is it possible to add an additional leaf in the rear, or would I be looking at a 1.5 block or something to keep the back slightly higher? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
You can buy an AAL that fits with your TSB leafs that will give you around 1.5" of lift. I just ordered a set from wheelers offroad, in fact. I ordered the 3 leaf progressive AAL -- supposedly you can omit one of the leafs for less lift if you desire.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
The 5100's will be here tomorrow...install this weekend...can't wait. I got the 5100 for the front and a 1.5 AAL (to add to the TSB that is already done). Will post before and after pics.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to be careful of is not to stretch the ABS sensor wire. I stretched one of mine too far and the ABS light came on afterward.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Ok. got the 5100's installed. I have a problem with the passenger side shock. I went to a parking lot and went over some speed bumps and heard a clank noise. I looked and the shock is not compressed. At the top of the shock where the bushing, washer and nut are, there is about 1/2 inch between the bushing and the top plate of the shock? So when I hit the bump, the shock didn't compress, it just banged the top of my wheel well....anyone have any idea on where I screwed up?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
Reepur is on a distinguished road
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtacoma07 View Post
Ok. got the 5100's installed. I have a problem with the passenger side shock. I went to a parking lot and went over some speed bumps and heard a clank noise. I looked and the shock is not compressed. At the top of the shock where the bushing, washer and nut are, there is about 1/2 inch between the bushing and the top plate of the shock? So when I hit the bump, the shock didn't compress, it just banged the top of my wheel well....anyone have any idea on where I screwed up?
Double check the top of the shock. Are all the bushings, washers where they are supposed to be? Did you remember to put the stock "cushion" washer back on before you slid the shock back up into the shock plate?
just rhetorical questions, just double check that area.

BTW, I have the same setup. 4x Bilstien's , Toytec 1.5" non-TSB AAL. Set at 2.5" in front.