Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

decided on ICON but still have some ?'s

Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
MileHighTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
MileHighTaco's Tacoma Gallery
decided on ICON but still have some ?'s

This will be the first truck I've lifted, so excuse the possibly dumb questions. I've done a ton of research, but still am not sure of what I want/need. Here's what I've decided on:

Front: ICON C/O and TC UCAs, but I can't decide if I should get the extended travel and/or the reservoirs or not. I will be mostly crawling up trails and some rocks. Suggestions?

Rear: ICON resi shocks. The questions I have here are about lift. I want 3" all the way around, so I was thinking of getting the all pro standard duty leaf springs instead of the ICON aal. Is that the way to go, or is there something better?

Is there anything else I am going to need such as a u-bolt flip kit, extended brake lines, etc...

Also, where can I get the best deal? Right now I'm looking at buying from off road warehouse, the "desert sale." http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/prod...roductID/39121 This seems good, but there is no warranty information. Obviously, I don't want to spend all this money and have no where to turn if something is wrong with the parts.

Wheels/Tires: FJ Trail Team 16x7.5, 4.5" backspacing, Goodyear Duratrac 285/75-16. ICON recommends 16x8 wheels with 5" backspacing. Will the FJ wheels be ok? And will I need to trim anything to make the tires fit?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
We have a package deal with the Icon Extended Travel and Total Chaos UCAs. You get free shipping on the package. As far as rear lifts, Usually a 1.5-2" lift in the rear will make the truck sit level with 3" of lift in the front. If you do 3" of lift in the rear the truck will have a factory rake look. You will want to get longer rear shocks and extended rear brake lines as well, to go with the rear lift.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoma.htm
Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely get the extended travel. With uniball UCA's thats probably the best mid travel set up and has the most wheel travel without going LT. 1.5" aal in the rear will be perfect. I believe the Icon's come pre-set at 2.5" which is the sweet spot on those so anything more in the rear will be too much. Factor rake is already 1.5". Wheelers 3 leaf aal is nice and basically the same as what Icon recommends.

Nice Choice and post pic's!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
I now that you get a lot of snow in winter, there . If they are using any salt on the road ??? then I would strongly reconsider the front option.
In a year and half, I been thru two sets of seals on my Icons. They are leaking badly again. I call them and ask - whats wrong with this???
They told me that the winter could be harsh on the seals. Now,, some of my friends are running EMU for more then five years and still like new.
Try to call them -Icon's- and see what they are saying. Don't get tricked by the shiny look. For $1600 (purchase and rebuild),, I could have bought two sets of EMU. This is my experience with. Wish you a better one.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
I've read about the leaking issue before. So why is it that icons are labeled as such great shocks along with the other popular "greats"?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkturbo! View Post
I've read about the leaking issue before. So why is it that icons are labeled as such great shocks along with the other popular "greats"?
Its just Virgilus. I would say he has a bad set. He's the only instance I've ever seen reported. That stuff you read about before? That was him too:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...cons-leak.html

Icons are labeled as great coilovers because they are.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Its just Virgilus. I would say he has a bad set. He's the only instance I've ever seen reported. That stuff you read about before? That was him too:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...cons-leak.html

Icons are labeled as great coilovers because they are.
x2 wouldnt hesitate buying them again.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
They are great shocks. As long you don't expose the seals to any salt. If you look at EMU,, or Bilstein you will see that the seals are incased (protected) from stones, salt, etc.
You just have to decide where you are going to use them. They may look nice and shiny in California but up north they don't last more then a winter then you have to remove them, go with out the truck for few days and install new seals. This ,, I just found it the hard way. $$$$$. Now I am looking to buy a EMU set.

Both guys are right. I never heard of anyone else having this problem or the guys don't want to talk about it. It could be that I have bad luck.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilus11 View Post
They are great shocks. As long you don't expose the seals to any salt. If you look at EMU,, or Bilstein you will see that the seals are incased (protected) from stones, salt, etc.
You just have to decide where you are going to use them. They may look nice and shiny in California but up north they don't last more then a winter then you have to remove them, go with out the truck for few days and install new seals. This ,, I just found it the hard way. $$$$$. Now I am looking to buy a EMU set.

Uh, I have no doubt there are MANY people up north running Icon suspension components without seasonal removal.

I seriously think it's either your set of shocks or something you do with your truck that doesn't apply to the rest of us.