Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1.5" AAL + Axle Shim require new U bolts??

Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
RRDave is on a distinguished road
RRDave's Tacoma Gallery
1.5" AAL + Axle Shim require new U bolts??

Hey Everyone,

Like the subject says, I'm about to install a 1.5" AAL and would like to install axle shims and a carrier bearing drop at the same time to avoid vibes, but I don't know if I will require longer U bolts. I've been told that they're not required for the AAL alone, but not sure about the shim. Has anyone had experience with this?

THanks,
Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
its real close with the shims and aal...
you should use new u bolts anyway
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDave View Post
Hey Everyone,

Like the subject says, I'm about to install a 1.5" AAL and would like to install axle shims and a carrier bearing drop at the same time to avoid vibes, but I don't know if I will require longer U bolts. I've been told that they're not required for the AAL alone, but not sure about the shim. Has anyone had experience with this?

THanks,
Let me make a recommendation for you. Don't do the shims and carrier bearing spacer at the same time. I put in a 2" AAL a few weeks ago. I then had start off vibes. Then I ordered the carrier bearing spacer and shims from Toytec. I put the CB spacer on first because it was the easiest. Drove it and the vibes had moved up about 10 mph but were still there. Then I put the shims in and the vibes were again about 10 mph higher. Then I took out the CB spacer and it has virtually no vibes now. So, for my truck the shims alone were the best solution. Just thought I would share and maybe save you some trouble.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
RRDave is on a distinguished road
RRDave's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, for the replies,

So Bama, are you saying you think I should just install the lift, then address the vibes if/when they appear?

Is there anyone who has installed a similar product and not had any vibes?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDave View Post
Thanks, for the replies,

So Bama, are you saying you think I should just install the lift, then address the vibes if/when they appear?

Is there anyone who has installed a similar product and not had any vibes?
Actually, I would recommend that you go ahead and install the shims (since you will have the rear apart anyway). Then I would wait and see if you have vibes before you install the CB Spacer. There are several on here that say they didn't have vibes after an AAL and they didn't use shims or the CB spacer. I think it just depends on the truck. My AAL was more than 1.5" so that could be my issue.

One other thing to note is that if you try to use the stock bolt that holds the leaf pack together with the shims, there isn't much of the head of the bolt sticking through to pass through the shim and drop in the alignment hole in the axle brackets. I ordered new bolts from Toytec and put them in. They have a larger head and have a washer so they protrude through the shim more.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered the 1.5 AAL from Toytec they came with new center pins. I have the TSB and bought the shims will I still need longer U bolts. Toytec states no, but people that have done it. Does it work with the new oem u bolts? Or which ones should i order from Toytec? They have 2 different sizes?