Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

POLL: Differential drop effectiveness with vibes caused by lift

View Poll Results: Did a diff drop help eliminate your vibes?
Yes, it totally cured all vibes 1 3.13%
Reduced vibes noticably, but did not completely rid them 8 25.00%
I can't tell whether it helped or not 16 50.00%
No, it definitely did not help, but did not make vibes any worse 4 12.50%
It made vibes WORSE, or created new different vibes 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
POLL: Differential drop effectiveness with vibes caused by lift

This poll is for 2nd gen owners who lifted their truck, developed vibes after lifting, and tried installing a differential drop to cure the vibes.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I installed mine at the same time I did my lift so I don't have "before" comparison. I don't have any front end vibes, they are all coming from the rear.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
He bowls overhand
fastguy95 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chubbs
fastguy95's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to fastguy95
The vibrations you're referring to after lifting your taco is probably due to the driveshaft rotating at a bad angle. The differential drop kit lowers the angles of your cv boots in the front, hence, why you would still have vibrations coming from the rear.

What a lot of the Tundra guys do is purchase and install a carrier drop bracket, which lowers the angle of the driveshaft. Many swear by this cure. You should PM BeefedTaco about this common issue and he'll be able to assist you.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastguy95 View Post
The vibrations you're referring to after lifting your taco is probably due to the driveshaft rotating at a bad angle. The differential drop kit lowers the angles of your cv boots in the front, hence, why you would still have vibrations coming from the rear.

What a lot of the Tundra guys do is purchase and install a carrier drop bracket, which lowers the angle of the driveshaft. Many swear by this cure. You should PM BeefedTaco about this common issue and he'll be able to assist you.
The vibes I'm personally experiencing are from my front diff, as I haven't lifted my rear yet. I'm just trying to get a big picture sense of whether a diff drop has helped anyones vibes at all. I do realize that some people who have lifted both front and back can experience vibes that originate from both front and rear though.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #5

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
c'mon, I know more than 5 people on TW have tried a diff drop to cure vibes... lets see some votes over here!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
did it all right the first time. only vibes coming from truck is the bits of little scraps of metal stuck in tires from running over hondas. it is necessary to correct all drive line angles when doing a lift, it will pay off in the long run. less wear on them. axles/cv joints/boots. drive shaft ujoints, center support bearing, pinons, etc.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Hope it works for you, the diff bearing is a pain in the ass. Not that i fixed it myself but my wallet hurt. Maybe the drop will solve your issue.
Good luck!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
thanks Redgrom. I'm probably gonna give a DD a try and see what happens.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
c'mon, I know more than 5 people on TW have tried a diff drop to cure vibes... lets see some votes over here!
Yes, and more than 5 people used the search feature to find the hundreds of other threads on this topic.

Search.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Deathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant futureDeathbeard has a brilliant future

Deathbeard's Tacoma Gallery
sorry for the dumb question but are these needed for the 2wheel drive prerunners or only the 4x4's?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
Outlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura about

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbeard View Post
sorry for the dumb question but are these needed for the 2wheel drive prerunners or only the 4x4's?
4x4s only.
I have not tried a diff drop yet... so still have vibes.
Got a beefed CB drop and Diff drop at home waiting to try.
Im gonna try Beefed's CB drop first.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #12

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Yes, and more than 5 people used the search feature to find the hundreds of other threads on this topic.

Oh my god, I'm sorry for cluttering up your forum
Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #13

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbeard View Post
Only 4x4's have a front differential, so they are the only ones that front diff drops apply to. Any vibes that one may get in a prerunner are probably coming from the rear driveline, or possibly front wheel bearings or tire/wheel balance issues.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh my god, I'm sorry for cluttering up your forum
Simply explaining why people aren't jumping all over your thread with responses. The topic has been covered to death.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed when I lifted my 2003 Tacoma with the OME lift and installed the diff drop I suddenly developed a rhythmic vibration. I removed the diff drop and it has gone away. I do have a slight vibration but not nearly as pronounced as I did before.

I do not have a stock height before I lifted it slightly with 5100's but with the full OME lift I got about 2 1/4" lift over the 5100's.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #16

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Simply explaining why people aren't jumping all over your thread with responses. The topic has been covered to death.
Fair enough, but I did a search and didn't see any polls like this one. I wanted an at-a-glance view of peoples' experiences in a poll histogram
Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The poll is going to be meaningless because of the mix of 1st gens and 2nd gens that answer.

Diff drops made a lot of different on the cv angles for first gens. They do almost nothing for the 2nd gen angles.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #18

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The poll is going to be meaningless because of the mix of 1st gens and 2nd gens that answer.

Diff drops made a lot of different on the cv angles for first gens. They do almost nothing for the 2nd gen angles.
My OP specifies 2nd gens.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My OP specifies 2nd gens.
Haven't you figured out that everyone just reads the title, not the post or any responses, before replying to threads on here?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #20

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got around to installing a toytec DD.

In terms of curing vibes it did.....absolutely.......nothing.

Can't decide whether to keep it on or take it off.