Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Spacer with coilovers

Old 01-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
SIINALOA 226
sinaloa226 is on a distinguished road

sinaloa226's Tacoma Gallery
Question Spacer with coilovers

Can you put a 1 inch spacer with aftermarket coilovers and still have a good ride?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
like a top plate spacer?

I guess you could but your lower and upper ucas will be the limiting factor in your suspension rather than the coils, putting a lot of added stress on those components.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
SIINALOA 226

it would be as a top plate with tc upper control arms
Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Zombie Killer!
705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dean
705 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Anything you do to make the coilover longer will be negative. Say you have a three inch lift coilover and no other mods. The extra inch will put too much angle on the axle shafts if your 4x4. That's why the 6 inch kits use drop down brackets to lower the arms and diff.

If you have a 2wd I suppose you could add the 1 inch spacer but I'm not sure you would get it to align properly. That's why most coilovers only adjust to 3 inches of lift. Also at some point the a arm will contact the coil spring under full droop conditions.

Can you give some more details on your current setup?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
SIINALOA 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705 Taco View Post
Anything you do to make the coilover longer will be negative. Say you have a three inch lift coilover and no other mods. The extra inch will put too much angle on the axle shafts if your 4x4. That's why the 6 inch kits use drop down brackets to lower the arms and diff.

If you have a 2wd I suppose you could add the 1 inch spacer but I'm not sure you would get it to align properly. That's why most cpilovers only adjust to 3 inches of lift. Also at some point the a arm will contact the coil spring under full droop conditions.

Can you give some more details on your current setup?
Right now its stock. i just want to lift it 3 inches and still get a good ride.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Zombie Killer!
705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dean
705 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
If you just want height a spacer lift on top of your factory strut will do that. If you want 3 inches and a suspension upgrade an aftermarket coilover will work and ride nice.

I'm looking to raise mine a bit for a bigger tire and I think I'm gonna put in a Procomp or ReadyLift spacer kit. That will give me 2 or 2 and a half inches of front lift and will not change the ride.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Theoretically, as long as you keep the lift below 3", putting a top-plate spacer on top of the coilovers wouldn't be any worse than running a top plate spacer alone. Top plate spacers can damage ball joints, and if they are large enough, they render your bump stumps useless, because the shock will bottom out before you hit the bumps.

So if you really want 3" but can't stand the ride, you could crank your coilovers to 2" and run a 1" top plate spacer. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is possible.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
It's one way to get more droop travel. The other way is to use longer coilovers like the Icon Extended Travel.