Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Upper Control Arm Questions / Poll

View Poll Results: Which UCA's are best fit with Toytec Ultimate?
Total Chaos 34 53.97%
Light Racing 29 46.03%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
pcledrew's Tacoma Gallery
Upper Control Arm Questions / Poll

Going to be installing a Toytec Ultimate in the near future, wondering what peoples opinions are, and why, to choose either the Total Chaos UCA or the Light Racing UCA.

If you feel the need to respond to this with "use the search function" or "try searching dumbass" then do me a favor and leave the keyboard alone for a night. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
LR's are what I have! There good enough! Some people will push the uniball UCA's on you. They are great dont get me wrong. But... They are better for longer travel lifts. If you have the Ultimate lift, all you need is the LRs!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I vote LR's. They're adjustable vs non adjustable TC's, and the sealed ball joint is no maintenance, plus the LR's are cheaper. People will tell ya that you want the TC's because of the increased angles they'll work at vs a ball joint.... well the LR's have more travel than the factory UCA's and i've never found the travel limit of the LRs even with a top spacer as part of my lift. They've actually compressed so far up, they've scuffed my inner fender.
LR gets my vote hands down.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Yep! What he said! I've had the toytec coils for 2+ years with at least 1000 miles off road! They'll do you just fine!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I vote LR's. They're adjustable vs non adjustable TC's, and the sealed ball joint is no maintenance, plus the LR's are cheaper. People will tell ya that you want the TC's because of the increased angles they'll work at vs a ball joint.... well the LR's have more travel than the factory UCA's and i've never found the travel limit of the LRs even with a top spacer as part of my lift. They've actually compressed so far up, they've scuffed my inner fender.
The bump stop limits up travel...Not the Ball joint on the UCA. If your running larger tires, with the OEM bump stop, your gonna hit the bottom of the fender if you stuff the tire, regardless of what UCA's you use.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Don't Tread On Me
08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of

Navy: US NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC
Name: Adam
08PRELB's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Toytech Ultimate lift and i ran my stock UCA for a while and i just recently got Buildt Right UCA's and man what a difference they make. I have heard good things about both options so i would say go with what you can afford but personally i think a uniball UCA is a better option.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Crash and burn live and learn
Hugebergen will become famous soon enoughHugebergen will become famous soon enough

Hugebergen's Tacoma Gallery
What about camburgs ball joint uca? Have you looked at them? IMO I think they look good.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post

what eric said.

i have extended travel Icons, and the shock fully extends before the ball joint reaches it's limmit. you will get more travel with either over stock, but you will not get more travel with the TC over the LR.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
what eric said.

i have extended travel Icons, and the shock fully extends before the ball joint reaches it's limmit. you will get more travel with either over stock, but you will not get more travel with the TC over the LR.
so with camburg, TC, and all the Long travel brands, all your paying for is a ball joint that needs maintenance every few months and looks? im sure they are tougher but if they perform the same as LR or Built Right UCAs whats the advantage? just curious because im wanting to upgrade my UCAs and wanna know the advantage to the "Big Company" products, thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
so with camburg, TC, and all the Long travel brands, all your paying for is a ball joint that needs maintenance every few months and looks? im sure they are tougher but if they perform the same as LR or Built Right UCAs whats the advantage? just curious because im wanting to upgrade my UCAs and wanna know the advantage to the "Big Company" products, thanks

the uniballs are stronger, but a couple of things are assumed from the OP. he's going with the toytec ultimate lift kit, so we know he's not racing, and more than likely not wheeling every single weekend. the LR balljoint is massive. he will not break it. so in his case, the uniball would be partially for looks. the uniballs also take a little maintenance, and most daily drivers may not want to have to worry about relubing a unibal every so often. so that's why i'd recomend the op get the LR.

my trucks been on 3 wheels, 2 wheels, and even no wheels, and the LR arms have been great. some day i'll upgreade to a unibal, but i have more important priorities on truck list lol.

however, if you have the extra $200, don't mind the little bit of maintenance, and actually need the strength, then i'd recomend the TC
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goin on 3+ years of use on the TC UCA, and the original Unibal it came with. The TC UCA is much more UCA than any one "needs", and the LR's are a great product. You cant go wrong with either one. I prefer to have a greasable UCA over one that is non servicable, which is why I chose the TC's.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Goin on 3+ years of use on the TC UCA, and the original Unibal it came with. The TC UCA is much more UCA than any one "needs", and the LR's are a great product. You cant go wrong with either one. I prefer to have a greasable UCA over one that is non servicable, which is why I chose the TC's.

i was going to mention that. i'd wager that you're going to break other susspension components before you break just about any aftermarket UCA.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
i was going to mention that. i'd wager that you're going to break other susspension components before you break just about any aftermarket UCA.
Yeah, the spindle is the weak link in the front.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yeah, the spindle is the weak link in the front.
and for a mere $50 you can have spindle gussets. plus welding cost if you can't do it yourself. i'm not sure why more people don't have them. it's very cheap insurance.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
black cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
black cx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcledrew View Post
Going to be installing a Toytec Ultimate in the near future, wondering what peoples opinions are, and why, to choose either the Total Chaos UCA or the Light Racing UCA.

If you feel the need to respond to this with "use the search function" or "try searching dumbass" then do me a favor and leave the keyboard alone for a night. Thanks.
hey..ill let you know how it rides. I finally pieced my setup together.

1.) Ultimate Lift Kit
2.) Total Chaos UCAs
3.) 285/65/18

and since everyone love pics. heres a pic

Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #17
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
colin and chris, thanks for the info! i think whenever i decide to drop the money ill probably go with total chaos UCAs but not anytime soon i needa do more research haha
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better
Socalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Socalrunner's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought some used camburg uniball UCA but they must be the old style since they dont have the recessed 12 point bolt. Oh well for now not gonna install till i hear back about my LT these might go up for sale.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
colin and chris, thanks for the info! i think whenever i decide to drop the money ill probably go with total chaos UCAs but not anytime soon i needa do more research haha

you can never do enough research