LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help! Vibration problem after spindle lift

Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
DirtRoadCommute is on a distinguished road

DirtRoadCommute's Tacoma Gallery
Help! Vibration problem after spindle lift

I have a vibration problem after installing a new suspension and tires (details below) on a 2007 doublecab PreRunner (TRD Offroad).

There is a vibration --felt through the seat/floor, not the steering column -- at 0-45 mph. An alignment didn't help. Can anyone help me troubleshoot the problem?

Front suspension: 4" Camburg spindles with Icon coilovers (set at 0.5") and Icon UCAs
Rear suspension: All Pro 3" leaf springs with 2.0 Fox Shox piggybacks.
Tires: Nitto Terra Grappler A/T, 285/75R16.

Alignment specifications (Left, Right) in degrees
Caster: 3.3, 3.7
Camber: 0.7, 0.2
Toe: 0.05, 0.05 (0.10 total)

I suspect that it's a vibration from the driveshaft. I've seen recommendations for a carrier bearing drop to correct the drive line angles, but it seems like a carrier bearing drop would make the angle worse for a spindle lift (not better, as in a drop bracket lift).

Any suggestions on causes and cures, and how to troubleshoot them?
Has anyone with a spindle lift experienced this?
I've only put 50 miles on it. Should I wait until the suspension has "settled in" before getting too worried?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
it has spindles so it is a 2wd, I have a TRD sport and it is 4x4, his is a TRD offroad and its a 4x2
Old 01-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by milfhunter View Post
just to confirm this is a 2WD correct??? TRD Off Road is 4WD...TRD Sport is 2WD
Yes, it's a PreRunner (2WD). And it's badged as a TRD Offroad because it had the TRD suspension and a locking differential in the rear axle.

TRD Offroads and TRD Sports come in both 4X4 and 4X2 (PreRunner) versions.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by milfhunter View Post
try shims then carrier bearing drop. I just put a similar setup on my DCLB and have no vibes.
Just want to confirm... you have Camburg (or Total Chaos) spindles with a carrier bearing drop? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
OP not sure how much the suspension will settle since a majority of the lift is from the spindles. There was a thread on here about this, I'll look for it. Mean time..post some pics of the truck. I already have the Icons and am seriously debating the Camburg spindles.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
OP not sure how much the suspension will settle since a majority of the lift is from the spindles. There was a thread on here about this, I'll look for it. Mean time..post some pics of the truck. I already have the Icons and am seriously debating the Camburg spindles.
jr114.
Here are the photos you asked for.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Someone didnt put the tailgate down!
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
THROUGHITALLDUDE's Tacoma Gallery
my immediate guess would be your drive line angles. I would say buy some shims and a carrier bearing drop and that should help. When you do a 3'' leaf pack your putting really big angles on the drive line
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THROUGHITALLDUDE View Post
my immediate guess would be your drive line angles. I would say buy some shims and a carrier bearing drop and that should help. When you do a 3'' leaf pack your putting really big angles on the drive line
Thanks, ThroughItAllDude. Mu question is, how big of a carrier bearing drop? I've seen kits that range from 1/4" (ToyTec) to 1.5" inches (Beefed Taco, shown below). Is this a trial and error process? Just add washers until the vibrations stop?

Anyone with 3" leaf springs (whether AllPro, Deaver, Dakar) have to add a carrier bearing drop? What was the drop height?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Someone didnt put the tailgate down!
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
THROUGHITALLDUDE's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with beefed taco I have the toytec one and it seems like its more for guys like me only doing 1.5'' in the rear go with beefs because it offers more of a drop for you
Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
OP thanks for the pics. Looks sick!! Sorry the thread I was talking about was steering and alignment related. I would go with what throughitalldude is saying. Try the carrier bearing drop from beefed taco. Hopefully that'll cure you issues. Keep us posted with what you do, and what works out for you. Good luck
Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #13

Good news. Installed 4-degree axle shims and the driveline vibration is gone. No carrier bearing drop needed.

However, I can now hear how noisy the tires are in highway driving. I like them off pavement, though. [They're 285/70R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers A/Ts.]
Old 02-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
berso is on a distinguished road

berso's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to read this:

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/pinionangle/

and buy an angle finder......this should not be a trial and error process......my .02