Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Re: Shocks & Coils relation to articulation..

Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Goez2FST will become famous soon enough
Name: Andrew
Goez2FST's Tacoma Gallery
Re: Shocks & Coils relation to articulation..

Excuse me if this has been posted before, I searched it but didnt find exactly what i was looking for.

That being said, here's my question: Can you acquire further articulation by just upgrading shocks? at least Down travel? Or would a coilover & shock combo be the only way to do this? Also if you were to by a coil & Shock combo such as the fox 2.0, and set it to 0" of lift, what would this do to your ride quality? Soften it with more articulation(or is this even possible?)or stiffen it? Sorry in advance if this question has been answered elsewhere.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
No, you can't have more travel with out upgrade the A arms. I have a set of Icon's and tuned them down to 0" lift. Yes , the ride is -a lot smother.
By adding a 3" lift,, does not mean that you will have another 3" of travel. In fact you will loose some down travel. The benefit is that you will be able to install bigger tires and with heavier springs,, you can carry a heavy bumper.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
Alright cool, thank you. Did you buy your icons just for a smoother on-road ride? Or are you just waiting until you want to lift it? Also is there any advantage to having aftermarket coils and shocks set at 0" of lift other than a smoother ride? Thanks again
Old 02-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
You need long travel. Your truck only allows a certain amount either way and by lifting you shift the numbers more up. With a lift most downtravel is lost but some is gained by long travel shocks and more ground clearance.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Think of it like this what you loose going down you make up with ground clearance.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goez2FST View Post
Alright cool, thank you. Did you buy your icons just for a smoother on-road ride? Or are you just waiting until you want to lift it? Also is there any advantage to having aftermarket coils and shocks set at 0" of lift other than a smoother ride? Thanks again

The Icon's I have are smother only if I go off road at higher speeds other wise they are a lot bumpier on the street (set at 2-2.5" lift-the way they are set at the manufacture).
I bought it for more then one reason.
#1- I needed a stronger spring to support my new Relentless bumper,
#2-I need something that I can adjust so I can fit 285's
#3- I tought that they would last me at least 4-5 years with out problems.
#4 -They roll a lot less on turns- due to heavier, stronger springs.

Smooth is a very personal definition. What may be smoth for me,,, could be a horse wagon for you.
All I can tell you is that,,, With the Icon's set at 1.5" and 285' the truck looks good- the way I like it but -on the road, highway, in my eyes will never be as smoth as the oem. Bigger tires and heavier springs make you pay a price. You can buy aftermarket and set them at 0" but they will not be as smooth as oem because they have heavier springs,, made to take a bumper and (or) winch.
This is my point but some guys may see this differently. Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
You need long travel. Your truck only allows a certain amount either way and by lifting you shift the numbers more up. With a lift most downtravel is lost but some is gained by long travel shocks and more ground clearance.
Yeah I understand. The reason I was asking is because I might be trading in the Taco in the future and I was curious to know if there was a way to maintain a smooth ride on road and get more articulation for trails. With my current setup, Ive been happy with the look but it feels stiff, mainly when going over small bumps/holes. I was hoping there was a way i could change one or two things on a new vehicle without lifting and changing out numerous suspension parts to avoid having trouble on the resell value and losing money. But, I knew i was thinking optimistic and there's no good way to be better on road and off road. Thanks for yall's help.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilus11 View Post
The Icon's I have are smother only if I go off road at higher speeds other wise they are a lot bumpier on the street (set at 2-2.5" lift-the way they are set at the manufacture).
I bought it for more then one reason.
#1- I needed a stronger spring to support my new Relentless bumper,
#2-I need something that I can adjust so I can fit 285's
#3- I tought that they would last me at least 4-5 years with out problems.
#4 -They roll a lot less on turns- due to heavier, stronger springs.

Smooth is a very personal definition. What may be smoth for me,,, could be a horse wagon for you.
All I can tell you is that,,, With the Icon's set at 1.5" and 285' the truck looks good- the way I like it but -on the road, highway, in my eyes will never be as smoth as the oem. Bigger tires and heavier springs make you pay a price. You can buy aftermarket and set them at 0" but they will not be as smooth as oem because they have heavier springs,, made to take a bumper and (or) winch.
This is my point but some guys may see this differently. Good luck with your choice.
I gotcha, I think the icons have a really cool look as well. Seem like a good fit for your rig. And thats what i was afraid of.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goez2FST View Post
I gotcha, I think the icons have a really cool look as well. Seem like a good fit for your rig. And thats what i was afraid of.
Cool looking, Good fit ??? is worth nothing if they are not reliable. If you live in an area that salt and sand is part of your daily menu in winter.
At list,, my experience,, is painfull. $1500 in a year and half. Rebuilt once and leaking again after just few months. Enough is enough.
Don't let a fade dictate what to do with your money. Reliability in any weather, any time ,, first.