1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1.5" AAL + shim = ubolt length?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RRDave, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jan 31, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    RRDave

RRDave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax, NS
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD
    CAI, AT2525XL, 2.5" spacer, 1.5" AAL, DNX6140 HU c/w rearview cam, Fog Light Mod, Custom rear dog seat,
    Hey everyone,

I'm about to install a 1.5" AAL on my truck and I suspect I will need longer u bolts than what's currently there. I think the typical length for a block lift in the back is 8.5" however a local shop has 8" ones in stock. Would these work? Otherwise I can get the to make me a set of any length. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone confirm the size of the current u bolts? From what I understand they are 9/16" diameter, 2.5" wide and 8.5" long (for the block kit anyway).

2. Feb 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    MartyMcfly

MartyMcfly Time Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pahrump Nevada
    Vehicle:
    15' 4runner Limited 4wd
    see Build page for details.
    I don't think Ubolts will be a problem. My Toytec 3" AAL didn't come with Ubolts, and I didn't need them either. The kit re-uses the stock Ubolts. It's when your'e adding blocks instead of a leaf that you'll need longer U bolts. However, you may need a new/longer centering bolt.

3. Feb 7, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I bought the 2" AAL from Toytec and got the 7 1/2" U-Bolts just in case. I wanted to replace them anyway....Worked out perfect

4. Feb 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I have the 1.5" add a leaf and re-used the stock u bolts. The longer u bolts hung down so low it looked stupid IMO

5. Feb 9, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    RRDave

RRDave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax, NS
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD
    CAI, AT2525XL, 2.5" spacer, 1.5" AAL, DNX6140 HU c/w rearview cam, Fog Light Mod, Custom rear dog seat,
    So I have the 1.5" AAL installed with 3 degree shims. Before hand I had a local spring shop make me some 8.5" ubolts which I used during the install to avoid the off chance the stock u bolts weren't long enough. I retrospect 8.5" was probably a bit long but everything worked out ok. If anything, if you're replacing the u bolts and they don't come with the lift kit, I would say just go ahead and get a u bolt flip kit...but hindsight's 20/20.

Products Discussed in

To Top