Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How do 5100's handle offroad? (And a couple lingering questions...)

Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
How do 5100's handle offroad? (And a couple lingering questions...)

Ive used the search, but some things just like to hide from me, I guess.

I'm looking for a budget lift- Living on the world's biggest mountain/volcano means you need a truck. (total lie, but everyone and their grandmother has a toyota in Hawaii.) I've done fine with everything stock, but I've always wanted a lift. Recently, I went shooting on my grandfather's coffeeland, and ended up touching bottom more than I'm comfortable with. (Kona coffeland=lava rock. Lava rock+bottom touch= bleeding soul) Also, to get to the best beaches and fishing spots, I wheel quite a bit...

I'm looking at billy 5100's on all corners (setting the front at 2.5', using stock coils.) and toytec's 2' AAL. Gonna get the diff drop too, just in case, and have everything installed at the shop. My budget also doesn't really allow for new UCA's.....

But in your experience, how do the 5100's set at 2.5 handle offroad? I'm trying to get the most clearance for the least money (NO spacers..) but is that 1' of travel enough? The wheeling I do isn't TOO intense, but rough enough.
Also, how's the ride?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for adding to the pool of 5100 threads.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoter16 View Post
get the 5125 in the rear, they allow for the AAL, and get new coils ($150) up front so you can set your 5100s to 0 and have more travel. this is what ime going to be doing once i get the money

X2 get the coils as well you will be much happier with the ride.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
5125 in the rear would be a waste IMO. With only 2" aal in rear, the 5100s will to fine. The 5125s are more for 3" or greater rear lift. The bilstein should be fine off road. They have better valving than stock. I think they are also 3/4" longer so you don't loose all down travel.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
New coils are an option if you are worried about the ride. Check out the eibach or ome coils.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
5125 in the rear would be a waste IMO. With only 2" aal in rear, the 5100s will to fine. The 5125s are more for 3" or greater rear lift. The bilstein should be fine off road. They have better valving than stock. I think they are also 3/4" longer so you don't loose all down travel.

Yeah i do agree with you if you don't plan on replacing your leaf pack anytime soon 5100's will be fine for a 2" AAL. I bought 5150's just because I planned on replacing my leaf pack and going up to 4" out back.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the replies guys, gonna help me sleep better tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I'm starting to consider coils now...But if I got eibachs for 3", would I need new UCA's? Basically the only reason I only went for the 5100s was because of the lift without the need for new ones...

edit: still getting the 5100's, meant to say 5100's WITH eibachs.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
If you run the Eibachs on the 5100's at the first setting up from stock (0.85) the you will get approx 2.5" up front. I have this set up without new UCA's and my alignment is OK, not ideal. I have caster 1.9/ 2.08 and 0.6 camber. Drives nice, but feels light through the steering wheel. I just picked up new light racing UCA's for a good deal, otherwise I would have just left it.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #8

^^^^^^^^^^
thanks for the info
but the eibachs raise 1st gens around 3" right? I'm planning on riding the 5100's stock and using the coils for lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
did you need new UCA's?