Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Broke Leaf Spring, Just add a leaf?

Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
RockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to all
RockLobster's Tacoma Gallery
Broke Leaf Spring, Just add a leaf?

Hey everyone! I have a 1996 Tacoma Extended cab 4X4.
The middle leaf spring in my pack somehow is broke right in the middle. I was wondering if i could just remove the broken leaf and the same leafe on the other side and just add a leaf to fix it instead of paying 150.00 to get a whole replacement leaf pack?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
You will probably lose some weight capacity since you wont have that longer leaf in there. Im not real sure how it would ride, maybe a bit softer

as you said before, just make sure you have the same leafs from one side to the other
Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
RockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to allRockLobster is a name known to all
Would adding a new set of Rough Country Nitro 9000 gas shocks help on the weight capacity?
Also, since add a leaf says it will add 1.5in of lift, will it sit about the same since the middle leaf on each side will be removed? or will it still add some lift?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If it were me, I'd replace the leaf pack. I'm guessing the leaf broke due to long-term wear and tear so it would stand to reason that other breaks may be in your future. There are load leveler shocks (not familiar with the Rough Country one you mentioned) but they do help with capacity to some extent since they have a coilover built onto the shock. I have no experience with them personally and have no idea how they'd ride. I would imagine they're not overly cheap though, so by the time you buy an AAL and new Rough Country shocks, why not just get the leaf pack for $150 and fix it right? Another option would be to raid a junk yard and find a replacement off a wrecked truck.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Would adding a new set of Rough Country Nitro 9000 gas shocks help on the weight capacity?
Also, since add a leaf says it will add 1.5in of lift, will it sit about the same since the middle leaf on each side will be removed? or will it still add some lift?
By removing the broken leaf/s - it'll put addtional weight/stress on the other leafs and they could break.

Shocks aren't weight supporting. ONly the leafs are.....

I'd get a new leaf pak.
If you're on a budget, look for USED (stock) leaf paks on ebay, craigslist, or with local junkyards. Look for leaf paks off a newer 1st gen truck - like an 01 or 04. Anyone with a first gen truck who's installed new leafs, will have their spare set laying around.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
By removing the broken leaf/s - it'll put addtional weight/stress on the other leafs and they could break.

Shocks aren't weight supporting. ONly the leafs are.....

I'd get a new leaf pak.
If you're on a budget, look for USED (stock) leaf paks on ebay, craigslist, or with local junkyards. Look for leaf paks off a newer 1st gen truck - like an 01 or 04. Anyone with a first gen truck who's installed new leafs, will have their spare set laying around.
I thought he was referring to something like this. Shocks like these will support weight, however I'm not convinced they actually work or are worth it. I'd much rather let the suspension components that are designed to be load bearing actually carry the load.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_loadlevel.cfm
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
George Rockwell will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement:
George Rockwell's Tacoma Gallery
Where in Alabama are you? I got a buddy with some downey leaf springs, use 6 months. Cheep. Pm me if you are interested
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I thought he was referring to something like this. Shocks like these will support weight, however I'm not convinced they actually work or are worth it. I'd much rather let the suspension components that are designed to be load bearing actually carry the load.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_loadlevel.cfm
I agree....those might be OK if your suspension is fully functional and you need extra support for heavier loads. Personally, I wouldn't buy 'em.

The amount of money you'd spend on those would probably buy another set of atleast ' used' leaf springs.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
I have been looking at junkyards and craigslist for used spring pack but cant find any. would buying a new spring pack for just the side thats broke make the truck sit higher on one side since its new and has not had any wear and tear?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have been looking at junkyards and craigslist for used spring pack but cant find any. would buying a new spring pack for just the side thats broke make the truck sit higher on one side since its new and has not had any wear and tear?
On a truck that old, I would guess it would sit higher on that side with a new leaf pack.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes.... and your overall ride quality will be uneven (so to speak)

Do you have a spring/driveshaft shop in your area? It'll be a shop that customizes in fabricationg driveshafts & suspensions. You could ask them how much it would cost to custom fabricate a new (single) leaf spring. And they might have suggestions for you also.

The thing is, it might be cheaper to buy a new set of leafs. It depends on your shop.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
This might be a stupid question, but dose a 1995 toyota 4Runner have rear leaf springs?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
One of the off road outfits (maybe Wheelers?) sells individual Tacoma replacement leafs. I'll see if I can dig up the site where I saw it...

EDIT: nope, it was Fat Bob's Garage:

Middle leaf replacement $89:

http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/_toyo...gle-p8508.aspx

They also have full leaf pack replacements for $165ish.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 AM   #14
Ah thats a pretty cool site! Thanks alot BenWA!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #15
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Be smart and replace in pairs. Coil over on rear shocks suck. Should be a local spring company near you that could replace the broken leaf. If not replace the rear springs with new ones.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc350 View Post
Be smart and replace in pairs. Coil over on rear shocks suck. Should be a local spring company near you that could replace the broken leaf. If not replace the rear springs with new ones.
I would love to buy 2 new sets of springs, but I cant afford that right now. I drive my truck an hour to work and an hour back every day and need to fix it as soon as I can before it gets any worse. I have been looking everywhere and calling anyone I can find that might have cheaper replacement leafs and still no luck.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey everyone! I have a 1996 Tacoma Extended cab 4X4.
The middle leaf spring in my pack somehow is broke right in the middle. I was wondering if i could just remove the broken leaf and the same leafe on the other side and just add a leaf to fix it instead of paying 150.00 to get a whole replacement leaf pack?
Yes you can, remove leafs , dissasemble, remove broken leaf,remove same leaf otherside , look for another spring with same deminsions doesn't have to be a Toyota spring, buy new spring bolt/axle pin about $7 bucks for 2

Quote:
I would love to buy 2 new sets of springs, but I cant afford that right now. I drive my truck an hour to work and an hour back every day and need to fix it as soon as I can before it gets any worse. I have been looking everywhere and calling anyone I can find that might have cheaper replacement leafs and still no luck.

My rebuilt stock leaf pack with 2 junk yard ford springs per side, I wanted a lift & got 3" & brought my springs back to life, if you don't want lift just replace with same number of springs with same dimentions

Junk yard leaf pack....

Testing last night, perfect performance

Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Listen to the man above! He is very Smart when it comes to this stuff. I saw his rebuilt leafpack with the junkyard ford leafs installed and it looks amazing. His rearend is so fricken sweet now
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
Yea That is pretty damn smart 4WD! Thanks alot of the help 4WD! you just saved me lots of money!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea That is pretty damn smart 4WD! Thanks alot of the help 4WD! you just saved me lots of money!

No problem bro', it'd be great if money wasn't an issue, don't be afraid to think outside the box....

PM me if you have any questions...

Drove the hell out of it last night to see what was gonna go "boom" & got perfect performance, nothing wrong with these...