Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alternative for Poor Folk like me ..

Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Alternative for Poor Folk like me ..

I think we're all in agreement to the sad state of affairs that are stock Toyota leaf packs, the springs on my 2000 were no different, now I don't have the $$$ for name brand springs & I'm old school anyway & enjoy experimenting so I found some old Fords springs (shorter ones) & added them to my stock leafs & this is what I achieved: A solid 3" of lift bringing them back to life & actually improved ride quality over all , def. firmer but not harsh at all, cost was about $30 including a cheap can of spray paint..

I'll take measurements & post later as to deminsions of the springs I added...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Looking good Doug! nothing wrong with a solution that works.

Hey thanks Rudi where ya been buddy ?? time for a little trail running...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Sweet i like it! Where did ya buy them?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
Sweet i like it! Where did ya buy them?
Thanks Brian , Quality Auto Wrecking in Lakeside,Ca (close to home)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
what did I miss?
skunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudi
skunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Hey thanks Rudi where ya been buddy ?? time for a little trail running...
I've been busy.... but i'm definitely itching to get back out on the trails. Unfortunately I have a sidewall leak that is being a PIA and I'm trying to ride it out or find a used Rugged Fail to at least keep me going until I can afford to replace all the rubber.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Also, this was achieved without buying longer U bolts, I may get a longer brake line because I do offroad a bit with a fair amount of flexing but as of now no issues....
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
looks good! i wonder if that would for a 2nd gen?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Hey Connor hows everything in your neck of the woodsa ? Did you sell your truck yet ??
Everything is good, but busy here. Truck hasn't sold yet....actually had some serious thoughts/debates today in me head about just keeping it and going bananas.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
trade for a sorta rusty 99 camry LE with 100k, if so I 'll find one and drive it down.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Quote:
Thanks Brian , Quality Auto Wrecking in Lakeside,Ca (close to home)
You know what year, make and model truck they were off of?

Did you buy the whole leafs, and take them apart?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
GOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura aboutGOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura aboutGOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nic
GOLFMAN845's Tacoma Gallery
What did you paint your rear brake drums with? Does it let the heat escape or do the back brakes generate much heat?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I would also like to know this. Looks great doug
Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
looks good! i wonder if that would for a 2nd gen?
Not really sure but don't see any reason they wouldn't...

Quote:

Not sure of the year but pretty sure they were off 1/2 ton older Ford or Ranger possibly...

Heres the deal, my buddy used to race stockers at Cajon speedway & he bought a bunch of diff. leaf packs from a local wrecking yard that were mostly Ford springs (since his race car was a Ford) So we grabbed a couple packs & took them apart using the bottom 2 springs off each one & just added them to my stock leafs, kept the stock overload also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFMAN845 View Post
What did you paint your rear brake drums with? Does it let the heat escape or do the back brakes generate much heat?
I just hit'em with a cheap can of black spray paint, & heat escapes around the back side of the drums, so no issues there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
I would also like to know this. Looks great doug
Thanks bro' . Hey guys, it doesn't matter if the springs are off a ford,chevy,dodge or whatever, what DOES matter is width,length, & thickness, obliviously width is most important (has to be the same more or less than your stock ones) Length will determine amount of arc achieved & the thickness was pretty much same as stock also...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #17
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Nice!! Fords have to be good for something, right?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Nice!! Fords have to be good for something, right?
Heheheh I guess thats true, Hey Sean hows freezing your ass off working for ya ?

Dude, I got an honest 3" out of this project ! Time to slider up & its on when you get back !!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #19
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Heheheh I guess thats true, Hey Sean hows freezing your ass off working for ya ?

Dude, I got an honest 3" out of this project ! Time to slider up & its on when you get back !!
Today was 25, is felt like a nice warm day.

I planning on upgrading my rear when I get home with some all-pro expedition leafs and 10" billies. Depending on how much my ticket is going to cost me.

Heck ya, I'll be ready.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Today was 25, is felt like a nice warm day.

I planning on upgrading my rear when I get home with some all-pro expedition leafs and 10" billies. Depending on how much my ticket is going to cost me.

Heck ya, I'll be ready.

Are those the Billies with resi's ?