Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

whats wrong with spacers

Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
dauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud of
dauange's Tacoma Gallery
whats wrong with spacers

I know everyone says spacers lifts suck and I won't debate that. My question is why? Seems like physically it should ride like stock. You have the same springs and struts so suspension travel and spring rates are the same. Please let me know where my logic is failing. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I've gotten so tired of typing out the reasons that spacers are garbage that I now just quote this from the Camburg website. It sums it up well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camburg
We get asked this question all the time. “Why are most spacer lifts be bad”? Well spacer lifts can cause a few problems and cost you big dollars to fix. First there are a few different kinds of spacer lifts, there is the kind that just bolts on the top of the existing shock that spaces it down to give lift. The problem that can come from running this kind of spacer is the shock will now be allowed to droop to far downward causing binding and damage to ball joints, 4×4 axle cv’s, and steering joints. The other issue you might have is since the shock is now just pushed down when you bottom out the suspension on or off-road instead of hitting the bumpstops you will just bottom out the shock. This can lead to some hefty damage. The next kind of spacer lift available are the preload spacers. These will usually cause the coil springs to be preloaded to give lift. The side effect to this type of lift is the shock valving is not designed for the extra preload of the spring giving the ride a bad bouncy feel that sometimes feels uncontrolled. And in some cases we have seen the spring coilbind causing damage to the shock and the frame. This is because the spring is designed to move about 1/2 its total length so when you pre-load them they are now compressed to much so near bottom out they will bind before you hit the bumpstops.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Someone should make that quote a sticky! Check out Camburg website, they have the full scoop.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
dauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud of
dauange's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. I wasn't considering the ball joints and bump stops.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
“Why are most spacer lifts be bad”?

This is my favorite part of that quote.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Ok

Ive been making a collection of the results of spacers

Dont worry its not like they all are related, probably just random-- but breaking in the exact same spot, IDK ()
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
N3ZAT will become famous soon enoughN3ZAT will become famous soon enough
Name: Charlie
N3ZAT's Tacoma Gallery
ouch