Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Skyjacker 3'' Suspension Help!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
My Taco Eats Me
Zaint is on a distinguished road

Zaint's Tacoma Gallery
Skyjacker 3'' Suspension Help!

So I'm almost finished with the install of the skyjacker 3'' suspension on my 2003 taco. There are a couple issues that have come up and I was curious if anyone has had these experiences as well or if anyone has an answer.

First issue was the front upper control arm, after the lift - well strut - was installed, is about 1 inch from the inside of my tire. My tire is a 275/75 mounted on the stock 17 rim. First two attachments shows a more defining situation.

Second issue is the rear shackles that the rear leafs mount to. With the addition of 3'' to a leaf it seems that the leaf will be resting on the exhaust on the passenger side. The driver side has no issue as it does not have the exhaust exiting on that side. I have new stronger shackles coming in but I used the originals to hold it's mount to show an accurate picture. In the picture I already have the exhaust off it's hanger to drop it enough so that the spring isn't resting on the exhaust as it sits until a solution is found. Even with that there is barely room.

Does anyone know anything about this issue with the leaf springs coming into contact with the exhaust. Did you just get longer hangers or cut the exhaust, and if you cut the exhaust up near the muffler, did you ever get exhaust fumes into the car with it dumping underneath? Second two attachments for the pictures.

Thanks to all those who can help!

EDIT: forgot to mention, the front is still slightly jacked. There is some weight and contact with the tires to the ground, but not full truck weight compression. The gap will increase as the truck sits at actual not lifted ride height, but it's not looking like there is much of a choice in tires and wanting to have a lot of flex without rubbing that arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Skyjacker 3'' Suspension Help!-photo.jpg   Skyjacker 3'' Suspension Help!-image-1-.jpg   Skyjacker 3'' Suspension Help!-image-2-.jpg   Skyjacker 3'' Suspension Help!-image.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
You could cut the exhaust before the axle
Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
My Taco Eats Me

Zaint's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
You could cut the exhaust before the axle
That was my preferance, but do you know anyone that has done this? Do they get fumes into the cab with the the exhaust not dumping off to the side of the back of the truck?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Fumes won't go into the cab, it may get a little louder thought. Just dump it before the axle
Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
My Taco Eats Me

Zaint's Tacoma Gallery
I'll probably cut the exhaust. Any tips on the front end? I can't imagine all these lifted tacos with larger tires not having issues rubbing the upper control arm.

Are there any fixes? I'm not interested in wheel spacers.

Thanks again for the help
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaint View Post
I'll probably cut the exhaust. Any tips on the front end? I can't imagine all these lifted tacos with larger tires not having issues rubbing the upper control arm.

Are there any fixes? I'm not interested in wheel spacers.

Thanks again for the help
Your tires are only rubbing at full turn right? Before I got new UCA's and Spidertrax spacers, I had the same issue.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
Flash2408 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
Flash2408's Tacoma Gallery
I had too cut my exhaust with my rough country lift as well