Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

bilstein 5100 install: boot question

Old 02-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
ds46000 is on a distinguished road
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
bilstein 5100 install: boot question

First, I just wanted to thank Chris4x4 and the other guys on here who have done how-to write ups for the bilstein 5100 install. All the pictures and directions were extremely helpful. Now here's my question:

I just installed my 5100's today and after I got everything together, I noticed the dust boot that covers the shaft of the strut is just laying/hanging on top of the shock body (with the entire strut shaft exposed).

It's only on 1 side though. The other side is fine...the boot is attached at the top and hangs down, covering the strut.

I tried sliding it back up to the top and pressing/turning, etc...but it won't stay up.

Anything I can do about this? What is supposed to keep it attached up top?

Whatever you do, don't tell me I have to take everything apart again!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
after researching a bit, i'm thinking maybe i installed that side wrong. can anyone confirm?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Pics would be very helpful.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
when you put it in it just has to be like snapped up there but not really i have the same problem and it bothered me till i realized that it was too much trouble to look at but if i get time tomorrow ill see if i can figure it and post it up here
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
thanks easy, and i'll try to get some pics up tomorrow S.B. so you can see what i'm talking about.

basically, on one of my shocks, the boot just slides down the shaft and sits atop the shock body leaving the whole strut shaft exposed.

i was thinking maybe i put the boot into the assembly in the wrong order...like i should have put it in atop a washer or something...but i don't know.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds46000 View Post
thanks easy, and i'll try to get some pics up tomorrow S.B. so you can see what i'm talking about.

basically, on one of my shocks, the boot just slides down the shaft and sits atop the shock body leaving the whole strut shaft exposed.

i was thinking maybe i put the boot into the assembly in the wrong order...like i should have put it in atop a washer or something...but i don't know.
Maybe a zip tie could fix it? IDK but worth a shot IMO.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sheppy
Sheppymach's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get this fixed yet? i just installed mine and theres a little metal collar inside the top of the boot and if it popped out or off before you noticed it missing then it would do what your saying. I pulled down on it hard before installing and pulled it right out of the boot then pushed it back in.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
I called bilstein and explained the problem and they are sending me some parts (probably that little metal collar you're talking about). I think she called it a washer or bushing or something.

Sheppy, since you are familiar w/ the part... does it look like this is something i'd have to take the shock assembly apart to replace/fix? I mean, am i going to have to go rent the spring compressors, and all that again? Or is there a way to just snap it back in or something?

I took some pictures today...getting ready to head out of town but i'll try to get them up tonight or tomorrow.

thanks for the help
Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
mwells32 will become famous soon enoughmwells32 will become famous soon enough
mwells32's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know anything about the boot sliding down, but can answer your last question. I did my 5100 install last weekend. When we had one side mounted and everything put back together I realized the boot was still in teh box. In order to put it on you will have to take the coilover off and use the compressor to take the shock off. Fix the boot and put it all back together. So it took about three seconds for me to decide to leave it off. I dont see it doing much in the way of protecting anyways. It doesnt seal around the shaft. I could be wrong though.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
i've already gotten the info i needed, but i thought these photos might help someone else in the future.

the top picture is what it SHOULD look like:

the 2nd picture is what it DOES look like:

Last picture is of the very top of the boot. You can see what looks like the mechanism that is supposed to hold it up on the collar.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
FSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to all

Name: Cody
FSUtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds46000 View Post
I called bilstein and explained the problem and they are sending me some parts (probably that little metal collar you're talking about). I think she called it a washer or bushing or something.

Sheppy, since you are familiar w/ the part... does it look like this is something i'd have to take the shock assembly apart to replace/fix? I mean, am i going to have to go rent the spring compressors, and all that again? Or is there a way to just snap it back in or something?

I took some pictures today...getting ready to head out of town but i'll try to get them up tonight or tomorrow.

thanks for the help
just realized this same problem. do you happen to remember where you contacted bilstein at?