Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

after lift rubbing

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
after lift rubbing

edit, refer to post #28, i found the rubbing spot on the LCA.

just installed my toytec ULK about a week ago. I still have stock tires, rims and uca's. i'm pretty sure i read that it was ok to do that since the ULK coil overs come shipped at 2.5 inches in the front, so i opt'd out on the uca's for now (budget). anyways... im getting a little bit of rubbing on the spindle from the tire. i can barely fit my finger through the gap between tire and spindle on a level surface. on uneven surfaces while driving it rubs like hell!! is this normal for stock tires/rims? should i get spidertrax wheel spacers until i can afford new wheels? or did i just fail at my installation? thanks for the help!!

here's a pic of how close things are.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Post a pic. You should be easily able to tell where it is rubbing as there will be wear on parts.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Post a pic. You should be easily able to tell where it is rubbing as there will be wear on parts.
i'll try to get pictures tomorrow. the camera's acting kind of funny.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
MURDERED_TACO
nick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud of

nick's Tacoma Gallery
if you put half in or so spacers it should help. if you space to much they will rub your fenders. hope this helps can tell a little better with pics
Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
black cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
black cx's Tacoma Gallery
pics?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
You shouldn't be rubbing with stock rims and tires with that setup.....something's not right.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #7

BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
You shouldn't be rubbing with stock rims and tires with that setup.....something's not right.
that's what im thinking.. do u think it could have something to do with me leaving the swaybar off?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nope^
Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #9

BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
what in the world could be the problem?? all i did was replace the coilovers and remove the sway bar.. not sure what i could have done wrong during installation.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
who did the install? something is def. not right. you shouldnt have any rubbing at all with stock wheels/tires
Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Almost there

where eactly do you live? I might be able to swing by to take a quick peek?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #12

BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
who did the install? something is def. not right. you shouldnt have any rubbing at all with stock wheels/tires
i installed myself at school, i followed the steps and did my homework on knowing how to do it, i could have missed a step, though i dont think i did.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #13

BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the pic i got of it. you can notice how close everything is to the tire...

Old 02-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Almost there

Thats not close at all lol

where the spindle attaches to the uca...is that shading there or is that rubber marking?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #15

BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Thats not close at all lol

where the spindle attaches to the uca...is that shading there or is that rubber marking?
i wasn't actually sure that it was the spindle there, so i called it the spindle to uca thing, lol.

but yea, i can barely fit my finger through that gap.. so if thats not close then i just got chunky ass fingers
Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
Almost there

I pm'd you back
Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

find out what's rubbing yet?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I can't really fit my fingers betwen the tire and the UCA on stock TRD trucks with 265/60R16 tires.

So nothing's really changed there.

How do you know something's rubbing? Any chance you dropped some debris down between the brake disc and the caliper?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #19

BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
well, i was off roading and i heard a kind of grinding or tire rubbing noise coming from the driver side wheel area. when i got home i looked at how close that spindle is and just figured thats what the noise had to be. and now i know that the distance is normal for our trucks and the noise has to be something else..so

i cancelled out brake noise. as i've been out there bone stock and never heard the noise before i got the lift. now i have no clue what that noise could be. ill take it back out and see if i can figure the sound out, hopefully its nothing serious though
Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #20

hope you find out whats wrong. are you sure the noise is coming from the front?